Towing with an 04 Sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with an 04 Sport trac

just bought an 04 Sport Trac with 143000 on the clock. I bought it to tow an Aliner pop up trailer that weighs in between 12 and 15 hundred pounds loaded. (no scales around here) It has electric brakes by the way. I love the truck and think its up to the job.It has the OD lock out and Trans cooler, only had a ball on the bumper so I'm adding a 2" class 111 receiver and electric brake controller.
Tranny was rebuilt 1 year ago and has a tranny cooler. Stopped at a Trans shop and they told me because the trans was rebuilt I need to change the cooler because junk from the tranny will have clogged it, does that sound right?
So far I've had to put new tires on it and rebuild some of the front end. I'm ordering a class 111 receiver for it and a brake controller.
Question, in order to install the brake controller stuff I have to remove the battery, how will that affect the different electrical components of the truck? Will anything need to be reprogrammed, I.E. the door locks or remote fobs?
I won't be towing long distances but live in the foothills of the Sierra's and have a lot of mountain roads to go up and down.
Any insight into towing with this truck will be greatly appreciated

The clock is the only thing you'll have to reset. Everything else will be fine.

Back