• Register Today It's free!

Towing with the 4x4 auto

cguay

Reaction score
City, State
Danvers,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Anyone know if there is anything besides an aux tranny cooler that you can do to the v6 explorer so you can tow more? I have a camper that weighs 3300 lbs and it seems to be just a little too heavy for my exploder. I have looked at other vehicles to tow with, but don't really want to get rid of my explorer. any help would be appreciated.

1994 Explorer Limited 70,000 miles.......power everything!!!!

Besides an aux tranny cooler and shift kit, there isn't much. Lower gearing in your differentials would help, but on a 4x4 that is an expensive proposition just for towing help.

How far are you gonna be towing this 3300 lbs? That is within the tow rating of the truck, but I wouldn't do it for more than 250 miles at a time. Also, your rear leaf springs are going to sag if you tow that much weight enough. You'd need to get new ones or an add-a-leaf kit to fix that.

Can't argue with Alec on those points. On another note Welcome I was reading your post then realized that it was your first. There is a lot of information on here. Also a lot of great and helpful individuals that just love thier Explorers.

Back