TPS Problem - Help

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I took off the old TPS sensor that I drilled out crooked and installed last spring. I was trying to do the TPS mod but it did not work out, at any rate I installed a brand new motorcraft TPS sensor this morning and funny things are happening.

First off the idle used to be very low and weak around 400-500rpm in Drive, the idle went way up and is now around 1100rpm in drive. In park before it was around 600rpm, with the new TPS it is at 1500rpm.

The engine seems to run a lot smoother and rev faster, though at times I had the pedal almost to the floor and the truck would not down shift. Seems very strange why this would happen also the shifts are a lot snappier- like the tranny does not know when to shift. It seems as if the computer is confused as to where the throttle position is.

I wonder if the last mechanic I had work on the truck tried to turn up the idle screw or maybe I should have disconnected the battery and reset the computer before I put on the new TPS??

I am really surprised that putting on a new TPS has made so many changes- especially with the idle, what could be wrong?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok the BBK method for setting the baseline throttle plate position.
Turn screw all the way out, then in just until it touches the actautor, back off and achieve a .0010 gap between setscrew and actuator. then turn screw in 1 1/2 turn. from there set the tps voltage to <1v >.85v
I have mine set to .89v try this and see what happens.

I'll give it a shot.

I still wonder why changing out the TPS would cause such an adverse reaction?

What is the TPS voltage it idle now?
At wide open throttle?
Is there a chance the sensor was installed with the nibs behind the throttle plate actuator shaft? This would hold throttle open slightly at idle. It would prevent the tps from operating though. hmmmm?

I did not get a chance to check the voltage at idle yet.

It just went right on I don't think the plates were behind the shaft but it could be possible, I guess I will have to take it off and re- install it.

Would it make a difference to re-set the ECM by disconnecting the battery?

Thanks

Back