TPS ScReW stripped..

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
So yeah.. was attempting to change my TPS... and of course.. the bottom screw stripped out... ended up tearing everything apart and removing the TB..... what now?... ugh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you blame it on someone else? I have a small trash pile.

What the heck did you strip?

What the heck did you strip?
Look at the TPS, it'll become obvious what was stripped because those things are on there pretty tight and are pretty small.

Prolly the screw head? Your best bet is prolly cutting the screw head off and sliding the tps off then getting a new screw.

No cutting tools, and I can't seem to get a grip around it with pliers or anything... you think a shop would do it as a favor?... Also.. how do I go about cleaning the TB?.. it's dirty as hell.. with... oil.. n ..everything.. And I've read and heard not to touch it because Ford puts a special oil in there n whatnot..... Either way... first thing's first... getting this damn screw out. (It seems I'm the one with all these small stupid problems that stop me in the middle of a job... gah)

No cutting tools, and I can't seem to get a grip around it with pliers or anything... you think a shop would do it as a favor?... Also.. how do I go about cleaning the TB?.. it's dirty as hell.. with... oil.. n ..everything.. And I've read and heard not to touch it because Ford puts a special oil in there n whatnot..... Either way... first thing's first... getting this damn screw out. (It seems I'm the one with all these small stupid problems that stop me in the middle of a job... gah)

I don't see a shop doing it as a favor. It's your fault so why should they fix it for free?

I know I wouldn't.

get a cheap dremel tool and cut a slot in the remain the screw head and use a slot screw driver.

since you're replacing the TPS anyway, just cut it off it's just plastic (dremel) without damaging what's left of the screw. Then put pliers on the screw nub and get it out of there.

After 2 broken drill bits, I got it removed, had to pretty much destroy the old sensor. I drilled all around the screw until all that was left was plastic around the metal sleeve. Then I just used pliers to unscrew the screw. (After I tore the sensor itself to pieces ripping it off the TB) I'm gonna go to a hardware store and get the same screws, except with bolt heads.

Back