Track Attack - Full Width Sport Trac SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Track Attack - Full Width Sport Trac SAS

In the final stages of planning beore starting and finishing the sport trac SAS.
All my wheeling rigs have always been Solid Axle. This was my first IFS, and I don't care for it much.
I've been through to many CV axles already and am ready to make the change. I have most of the parts sourced already, but need to get a few more things. I'll try to get some before shots this week.
Target shop time date is early to mid september.

Current Build:
Trac has superlift 4" lift front/rear.
Warrrior shackles
3" body lift
33x12.50x15 BFG AT's

Goal:
Dependable weekend warrior capable of handling most trails in the East TN area that can also tool around town a little as needed, and fit into the parking garage.

The Plan:
Modify existing James Duff suspension parts to get the axle under my sport trac. These are currently under an early 90's explorer already, so shouldn't be to bad I hope.
Put some 35-36" tires on it (will stay w/ my33's if I don't find some 35-36's in time, but hoping to trade before that weekend).
If needed, change out 5.13's down to 4.88 and use a locker, not welded. (this may not happen due to funds and wife's minimal support of project)

Parts Aquired so far:

15x8 5x5.5 rims 35" Mud kings

Update....

well , the deal on the axles fell through... been shopping around for additional ones...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We'll be looking for updates!

I'll be watching along with a bunch of others.

:thumbsup::popcorn:

Cool... Glad Ihave earned the popcorn emoticon =)

Won't be anything going on this week, as I will be out of town in boston.

So does anyone know if an Xterra power steering box would be strong enough for this application? And what would need to be done to get it to connect on to the explorer steering column?

The guy doing most the work is familiar w/ using Toyota IFS, so we will probably go that route if needed, but the Xterra box is free =)

thanks!

Whats up man. Im the guy that had the black explorer that day you stopped by the Duff shop. Look forward to seeing the build. Brad will do it right.

Heya... yep, I know he will do a killer job....

Looking forward to getting this done and away from IFS at last ...

Right now its looking like a mid september shop date... unless a curent project wraps up early....

Gives me just under a month to find some 35-36x15 tires and a power steering box...

So does anyone have any familiarity w/ using an xterra steering box during a SAS?? google searches mostly point me to the xterra forums and those are people just doing normal xterra stuff,not sing xterra stuff on other applications...

Thanks,
Ken

Some 35x12.50.x15 Mud Kings came up on craigslist for $50. all are about 30% tread, 1 looks like there was an steering issue, as it is worn on the edge...

Can't find anything on using an Xterra steering box... google comes up with this post as the #3 hit =/ ... Guess I'll stick with the toyota IFS...

Found some stuff that makes it seem like the xterra box will work, will just have to play round with getting the steering shaft to play nicely.

Have some concerns regarding the speedometer / VSS system.

does anyone know where the speedo connect to. Google led me to believe it connects to the rear axle with the ABS connector as well??

Since I am going to a late 70's Fullsize 9" rear, am I going to have speedo / computer issues??

What have others done as work around??

I've been reading the forums and googling all night, but i've not found the info I need yet, so any tips or points in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Schedule:

As of right now, it looks like shop time is either this weekend, or next weekend, pending a few items outside my control.
Thanks,
Ken

Subscribing.

The VSS & the ABS sensor are one in the same located in the rear axle on that 02 S/T. You might be able to adapt a tone ring and tap in a sensor to the 9", but that's just me speculating here.

I was hoping you used the Toyota IFS box and would be able to post Pictures and a "how to" on installing it. I have heard of others here using it, as it is smaller, and as strong as the 1st gens box.

Been googling, looks like I'll most likely have to do an aftermarket speedo, and have a check engine light on all the time (or figure out how to trick the speedo into thinking its ok still.

As to steering boxes..
I wasn't able to source a toyota IFS box, and the xterra box as available and free. I read on some xterra and a few eb boards of guys using the xtera box w/ 36's, so I think it should be ok.

VSS Update...

Strange...
I pulled the plug from the rear axle that I thought was the ABS / VSS wire. Drove around the block expecting the worse.... only thing I noticed was a squishy brake pedal. My speedo worked. Auto Tranny shifted as normal.

So that makes me feel much better regarding the VSS thing.

VSS Update 2...
I didn't know there were VSS sensors on the front as well... (duh)...

I disconnected the 2 fronts, and the 1 rear...

No speedo, but seemed to shift ok.
I got the interstate and was able to keep up with and pass traffic w/o any shifting problems..

I plan on going through with the swap, and messing w/ a tonering on the transfer case output similiar to IZwack's ring...

hey, been awhile ...

Deal on the HP44/9" fell through in November... now I've been looking for some axles...

So I have run across 2 potential sets, and want your opinions...

Keep in mind... I plan on this being a weekend offroader, but still needs to be ok on street for runnign errands and the wife and kids being in it at times too.
Plan on maxing out at 37" tires for the next few years....maybe bigger in 5 yrs or so if I still have this truck.

Set1:
79 Bronco $1200
HP44/9"
4.56 Gears, Detroit rear, True-Track Front.
Have to buy whole truck ( no engine, no top).
These are rebuilt recently, as has the C6 and NP205 in the truck.
I figure i can buy this, then sell the xtra's and take teh body/frame to the crusher for $$.
Pros: easiest to put under the truck. Already geared and locked. ground clearance.
Cons: figuring out what to do for VSS in my truck. 3 hour drive to get.

Set2:
2002 Superduty D60/Sterling 10.5 $800
Stock gears 3.73, open diffs
comes with all tierods/steering rods etc...
Pros: has vss sensors, so may be able to use with my vss, beefy, close to home
Cons: large diff, will need to regear and add lockers later on, heavy for my v6/tranny combo, needs more mods to get under truck due to limited space on drivers side of front diff...

Let me know your opinons on which to go with...
Turnkey D44/9" combo with a long drive to go get
or
Beefier D60 but needs gears/lockers to get it where I want it

thanks!

that's what I am leaning towards and for those reasons....

that combo is strong enough for my V6 with 36's no problem...

but still, its a D60! and the vss may be easier to deal with =)

The newer 99 up Superduty axles are nice and yes it could be a 60, BUT you don't wanna mess with unit Bearing front hubs that they use, they are very costy and pretty sure not rebuildable like an older stlye 44/60 where you put new wheel bearings in and repack after lots of water/mud usage for alot cheaper..

You can go with a full witdh 8.8 outta like a 95-96 F-150 and they have the VSS also, and plenty strong for weekend warrior.

Bronco, defenitly the way to go, then sell the extra parts to make up some of the difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old thread revival, anyone heard from him?

Back