Tracking down an A/C leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tracking down an A/C leak

For me , it was in the service manual. You probably go on ford parts direct, put in your vin, AC section and it should list the correct one to uses. After that You can buy the parts from rock auto. Those three parts are inexpensive. I see you have a 96, on my 95 I used a red color orifice. Also you will not need a orifice extractor tool because you will replacing the evapator and installing a new orifice in the connection (inlet). I remove my wheel liner and everything on top to replace the evaporator.it's
I want to note, that on my explorer, it was the only time I had to uses a orifice extractor tool. And I am assuming you have or you going to local auto part store for the loan a tool program for the vacuum pump.

You charged up and its running cold......how long does it take to leak down to warm......I had a truck I got that sat for 2 years
the AC was running warm....topped off and its held for 2 years.....I did not look for a 2 year slow leak.....So how long does it take to leak down...
It could be the service port valves.

I got on a Fords part site and it lists a red and a blue A/C orifice tube for my VIN. Which one is right or are these interchangeable?

I got on a Fords part site and it lists a red and a blue A/C orifice tube for my VIN. Which one is right or are these interchangeable?
Red is the standard orifice for temperatures below 105 F degree ambient.
I believe the replacement orifice is red, it has a orifice size 0.062. The blue has a orifice size of 0.067. Which will allow more flow dropping the cab temperature to be colder. Your 96 is the same as my 95; and I use Red.

Back