Trailer hookup?? Light problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer hookup?? Light problems

Hunter3169

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer Sport
Got a 96 Explorer and have purchased every connector trying to get the lights on my trailer to work. There is an 8pin female plug in the back that that no matter what connector is attached to it.. will not bring power to the trailer lights.. Not only my truck has this issue.. a friend of mine with the same truck who has installed the connectors for UHaul also has this problem. Any info you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated... We are stumped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you take a voltmeter to it and test for power at the connector? If there's no power there you have to work your way up the wiring until you find power, then you'll find your problem.

so your problem lies within the trailer? what kind of plug is it? never heard of a 8pin must be a big trailer? if the trailer lights dont work even with different truck i would say bad ground, if i undstand you right

I think he's talking about the 8-pin connector under the driver's side bumper (at least that's where it is on my '99). It looks like an 8 pin but there are actually only 4 wires (can't remember exactly). This is what the adapter looks like to go to a 4-pin trailer hook up. You can get it almost anywhere (Walmart, Autozone, etc) link should work now

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4964&categoryID=210
What do you mean you have purchased every connector? If the ground wire on the X and the ground wire to the trailer are not the same - it doesn't matter how many connectors you buy, it won't work.

Like Dynamite196 said, start by testing it with a volt meter. Hook up to a good ground and verify that you get 12v off the X (hold the brake down). If not check fuses. If you do, then check the ground. If you've got 12v and a good ground, make sure you have the right connector (ground on x is the ground on the trailer). Hope this helps.

o ya i get it now, ya the other X has one it only has 4 wires but 8pin plug. mine doesnt have tow package so i dont have that i had to buy that damn expensive kit that uses light bulb sockets :( anyway what i would do is buy a tester or voltmeter, i got a tester at walmart, got the 8 dollar one i think it shows power with red light but then hook the clamp to hot wire and the tester will light up green when u find a ground. check the plug itself, start by turing your lights on and check for the running lights. i had too many lights on my trailer and it blew the Trailer Tow Fuse in the power distribution box under the hood, i had to put a bigger fuse in it. i would start with that, if the plug has power, check ground on the trailer, and make sure the ground is in right spot on the plug so the grounds line up like said above....

eidt: i know what u meant but your link dont work...

dynamite196 said:
Did you take a voltmeter to it and test for power at the connector? If there's no power there you have to work your way up the wiring until you find power, then you'll find your problem.
yes there is power there... but will not extend to the trailer... that link is the exact part that is on the truck now.. hooked up a voltmeter and there is no power coming from it since it being hookedup to trailer.. It had power, hooked up trailer, stepped on brake, lights flashed for a second then went out, checked power at plug again.. now dead. Fuses are fine at the drivers side box... I will check out the trailer, but the kicker is... the lights worked on another truck only it wasn't a Ford....

By the way all, note that there are two plugs back under the tail lights. There is an eight pin plug coming out from the tail light area on both sides of my 99 Limited. I don't believe mine had a towing package either.

I would like to know which side is for the trailer wires also. I have my OEM 93 bumper harness to plug into the 99 wiring, for my license plate lights. My 93 had a towing package, so I just need to match the correct wires. One side of my 99 has about six wires, and 4-5 on the other side. Good luck,

CDW6212R said:
I would like to know which side is for the trailer wires also. I have my OEM 93 bumper harness to plug into the 99 wiring, for my license plate lights.

Driver's side plug is for the trailer wiring. Why not just buy the direct harness for the '99? It's $13 and no splicing.

o forgot about other plug. i ave no tow packeage on my 96 and there is only one of those plugs underneath the bumper, and its for my license plate lights, makre sure yours is not plugged into that.

so... there is power to the plug itself under the bumper...now check the power to the plug, 4 flat plug or waht ever u are using and make sure the power is going from the bumper plug to that plug, if no power in that harness then u foind the problem, if the trailer worked on another vehicle, then its not the ground, or the trailer at all. must be the truck wiring

did u check the fuses before when it did have power, or after the lights came on then went off and wouldnt work, check the power distribution box there is a fuse in there for your trailer wiring, thats where my problem was, lights flashed one time when i turned them on, blew the fuse, then didnt work, not sure exactly what fuse it is, i belive it was a 15 amp, i upgraded it to a 20 or 25 so it wouldnt blow out lol. check manual for the one that says trailer wiring.

Thanks for the info, I don't need any more wires, I just needed to know which to hunt for them in. My 93 bumper obviously has the plate lights in it, so I'll be tapping into the tail light wire in that right side connector. I have no plans to tow with my 99, but I have to plug in the connector, so using the correct wires is needed. Regards,

Back