Trailer light scramble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer light scramble

OK here it is I tried to do as much troubleshooting as possible before I posted to give you experts more clues to help me.02 Explorer XLT I have no running lights on trailer when lights or on.I have brake lights,flashers,and lights dim when blinkers or activated.I have checked with meter and have no power at plug on brown wire,no power at plug for harness on brown wire.Checked all fuses associated with trailer lights all good.There is a scondary relay box pass side under hood,how do I check the relay boxes for power.Also show a relay box in right rear quarter panel,is this to the right of rear passenger seat?Are is there something I'm overlooking.
THANKS

trailer lights

hi redfish, im pretty new on the forum myself..so welcome from another newbie. electrical is not really my strong piont, but if theres anywhere you are going to find an answer its here. i suggest checking around the board and maybe posting your question in an area more specifically related to your issue, just search the forum and you should be able to find the appropriate place..that way im sure there are tons of members or staff who can help..just so long as they can see your question.

welcome

Assuming the lights on the vehicle work fine, it will have to be between the harness and the pigtail. My 98 has the seperate light for the turn signal/emergancy flasher, so you have to have the control module to change system to a shared brake/turn/flasher light. (I assume you are running a 4 wire plug) Check for current on the wires at the module (in & out) and see what you have. Feel/look at the wires for frays or breaks. And don't forget to check the ground. That is always one that can drive you nuts.

Good luck:D

I was having a similar problem after adding running lights to my motorcycle trailer yesterday - the forward running lights wouldn't work and somehow during install the rear running lights failed as well. After an hour of crawling around underneath the problem was that the mounting I built for the running lights didn't properly ground them - adding a ground wire from the rear of the mounting bolt on the light to the frame fixed my problems.

This is easy to test with a couple pieces of scrap wire, just twist one end to the back of each bolt and stick the other end to the frame with e-tape. If the lights come on you can then install a screw to the trailer frame, attach the new ground wire, and seal your connections to make a more permanent ground.

Back