• Register Today It's free!

Trailer lights not working

mikedeis

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT Control Trac
My trailer lights went out on me in the middle of a trip. My tester says there is no power coming out of the trailer wire harness. I checked the fuses by the dashboard, I replaced the end harness that connects to the trailer lights. What My tester says I'm getting juice up to my break lights and then when the wires breaks off to go to the license plate lights and the trailer lights I loose power. I do have power to the license plate lights.
Any Ideas

95 explorer 4.0, 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also is it possible that one of the fuses next to the engine is effecting just the trailer connection. I cant see if any of those are good or not. Does not seem likely if the license plate lights work and they are bound up with the trailer lights.

The trailer wiring is isolated on its own dedicated circuitry from the truck's. (assuming you're using the OEM pigtail that plugs in behind the taillight, which it sounds like you are)...

I don't have those fuse numbers offhand, but IIRC they are in the battery junction box under the hood.

-Joe

Yes it is the OEM pigtail you are talking about. How do I find out which fuse might need replacing? They are covered so you can't tell like the ones in the dash?

I had to rewire directly to my tailights to fix my 94.

No problems since.

I had to rewire directly to my tailights to fix my 94.

No problems since.

94's a completely different beast than the 95. For one, the 94 has integrated turn signals while the 95 uses a separate bulb for the turn signals. A 94 is not wired from the factory to tow, while all second-gen 95-01 are.

On a 95, check the power distribution box under the hood, fuse #8 (20A). However, that feeds both the trailer running lights and the trailer brake/turn lights as well, so if one of them works, the other should.

Re-reading the post, I'm confused... At the trailer wiring connector on the Explorer, turn the 4-way flashers on and the parking lights and check for power on the three shielded pins. What do you get there?

-Joe

I pulled the #8 fuse under the hood and the truck would not start. If that fuse went bad, then the truck would not be starting...correct? Or am I way off?
I also turned on hazzards and running lights and nothing on the tester that is working correctly.

I pulled the #8 fuse under the hood and the truck would not start. If that fuse went bad, then the truck would not be starting...correct? Or am I way off?
I also turned on hazzards and running lights and nothing on the tester that is working correctly.

OK, so if I'm reading correctly, you have no power at all at the trailer connector? Neither brake/turn, nor parking lights?

Just re-checked and realized I must have been looking at the 96 schematics instead of the 95 when I checked before... Sorry for the confusion.

On a 95, in the power distribution box, fuse 'H' is listed as being a 20A MAXI fuse. If you pop the cover off your power distribution box, where the relays are at the 'bottom', the fuse you want to check is the fourth one down from the top on the right side. It feeds both of the trailer stop/turn relays as well as the trailer parking lamp relay. The only things that can be causing your problem is that one 20A maxi fuse is blown, or all three relays failed simultaneously. My money would be on that fuse.

Sorry for the confusion before... check it out and let me know what you find. :)

Thanks for getting back. I'll check it out.

Back