Trailer Wire Harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Wire Harness?

polarisman

Reaction score
City, State
Millerton, Pa
First off I would like to say thanks to everyone for the information I have already found at this site. I bought an 01 trac about two weeks ago and have been reading alot on here already. However, I can't find one thing I need. I went to tow the snowmobiles this weekend (we got in about 400 miles in 2 days at the PA canyon - great weather!) and found the original flat harness was cut off. I went to wire on a new one and found the colors don't match.
I have a generic harness to put on that is: white-ground, yellow-left turn, green-right turn, brown-taillight. The wires on the trac were white, yellow, brown, and a black with white strip. (I think, one was different than what I had with the black with white strip, trac isn't here right now to check) Does anyone know what each of the wires on the trac is supposed to go to on a normal trailor 4 flat. I hooked it up and used it anyway and I still had brake and left turn, so it worked in a jam, but I want to fix it right. Please let me know, sorry for the long post!

Also, if all I every tow is a small tilt trailor with 2 sleds on it do I really need a reese? I used the bumber with a ball and it seemed to work just fine, I know that is all we every used when I was growing up with my dad's old trucks.

If you're familiar with a multimeter, it's not hard to find the wires. As far as the hitch, I figure if you can arm load the trailer onto the bumper, no worries.

Laziness has the better of me and I was hoping someone would just happen to know what wires go to what on the hook up, or even have a photo... If not this weekend I will figure it out. Thanks.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I wired my own, so all the wires are the same color!

Back