Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's get back on the subject...

This thread has kinda meandered off the subject, so I'll ask the question: Is there any news on the Trailmaster lift? Is it out? If not, when is it due out? I'm sure I'm like a lot of people who are waiting and waiting. Any news would be appreciated.

Yes, it is out for about $1300. Someone has a post that has a link to a site that is advertising it. Look it up.

Juan, they are advertising them, but they don't have it in stock. There's another new problem of some sort.

Wow, just read almost all the posts here and it did get a bit off course, but isn't this what a forum is for? Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in there. The Trailmaster kit won't be too much longer. I'm told they have all the components and are inventorying as kits and all that would be left is to box, match and ship 'em right? Well, it's not that simple, They've got cataloging to do on every part of the kit, shocks to catalog and run specs on, it's just not fun. Be patient guys, and gals, it will be very soon...Mark

Mark, that's what Jim told me at last years SEMA show... As you know SEMA 2000 is only a month a way. At least I'll get to talk to Jim Chick in person again. Oh boy!!

As far as going off course on this thread, well, people did what they needed to in order to get a suspension lift to work on their late model Explorers. In Juan's case he even modified one of the "un-modifiable years. The '95-'97.

It just goes to show where there is a will there is a way.

[Edited by Rick on 09-27-2000 at 03:14 PM]

I hear ya', I don't blame anyone for doing other than waiting for this kit to come out. I've got Ranger kits shipping to Australia and Brazil, Japan and Germany for people to install on their Explorers. Kind of a scary proposition, going that far around the globe not knowing how it would end up on the vehicles, but, that's what they wanted and wouldn't wait. I've been talking with Butch Madigan, who is in charge of sales and distribution and he's confident that they'll get them going before the end of the month. I've got a couple guys down in Texas who've installed the Ranger kit on their '95's, and they say the only trouble was the torsion drops. Anyone else done this and had any OTHER problems?...Mark

Down to the wire!

I ordered my '98-'00 lift about three weeks ago from national tire. I have not seen anything of it yet. Ken at Trailmaster also said that the lift should ship by this friday. I know we have heard this many times. I got to tell you, I am excited anyway.

Djohnson,

Keep us informed on the status of it. I will be glad to hear when they are shipping them out.

Thanks,
Alan
98 Xplorer

Hey Mark,
You could tell them to go to this site if they want to see how it works out on 95-97 Explorers. There are a couple of us out there that have done it, and yes the only problem for us 95-97 owners is the torsion bar bracket. It just needs some trimming and it will fork just fine.

From what I've read, I don't know how much longer I can wait for Trailmaster. From what I've heard, on a 98 Explorer, a late model ranger kit will work. Is this correct? The only concern is the rear springs?

What is different about the torsion drops? Is it that they won't fit at all or need minor mods that could be done by someone with a grinder and a drill?

Sam,
Only 95-97 Explorers have to modify the rear torsion bar bracket.
I guess you could grind it down, but that's pretty hard stuff. My mechanic used a torch to trim it to fit. See picture. That piece used to be straight across, now it fits the curviture of the crossmember.
You have a 98. You will not have to do anything to the kit except bolt it on. You can also get 4" lifted springs from Skyjacker, then that's it. Your finished.
Read this thread back acouple of pages. I explained it in alittle moe detail.

View

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 09-28-2000 at 05:20 PM]

Thanks for the replies and the pic....So for the record.....Use the Trailmaster or any other lift for a late model Ranger (what years exactly)and rear springs for ? in the rear? Will the OME springs work? I already have Warrior shackles...what should I do or use with them? Thanks for your help, guys, I just can't wait for T-master any longer!

Thanks again!

Sam,
You buy a Trailmaster 4" Ranger lift kit for a 98 and above Ranger. You will also need to buy 4" lifted springs from Skyjacker. They make them for Explorers. You won't need the Warrior Shackles unless you want to go for a 5.5" lift, then you would have 4" from the suspension lift and 1.5" from torsion bar twist and Warrior shackles.
You could also use the Superlift 4" 98 Ranger lift kit, but it is around $2100.00. The Trailmaster lift is around $1250.00. I don't know much about the Superlift kit. As you can see from the picture, I used the Trailmaster lift kit.
Hope this helps.

The biggest difference between the Superlift and Trailmaster kit is that the Superlift kit uses a new, longer, steering knuckle and the Trailmaster kit uses a balljoint spacer to keep the CV joints in alignment with the differential.

Superlift's kit is more expensive because the new knuckle is a custom forging and is the most expensive piece in their kit. TC broke or bent his extended knuckle, but they have supposedly underwent design changes since then.

Hey Ray, how come that crossmember is different on the 95-97? Is that AWD or something they changed on the chassis in 98?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They changed the frame to be more like the Ranger in 98. The Ranger became IFS in 98, so I guess since it would be cheaper to have the frames alike, since they're really supposed to be the same platform. They just made it differant. That part where the TM torsion bar bracket goes on the 98's is a flat piece, where as on the 95-97 it is curved.

Back