Tranny (a4ld) experts,rpm reving when shifts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny (a4ld) experts,rpm reving when shifts

clawhn1

Reaction score
City, State
Katy TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 v8 and 93 xlt
Ill try to make this simple.

93,2wd. a4ld. had it for 17 years, had tranny rebuilt last year, and thats when the problem started and they wont fix it (say its "normal")...They said they added a shift kit,new valve body,new clutches, but they are very shaddy and I know they have had complaints from what I hear.

ANother opinion,from another shop without looking at it says it could neutralizing,or bad pump causing low pressure?

It seems to be able to shift into overdrive at any gear also. I guess to prevent overheating. Im not sure if they added this or if it came like that. I can let off a little on the gas in any gear and run the truck at a lower rpm while maintaining constant speed. This is a good thing to prevent overheating,problem is when it shifts into next gear the engine seems to rev alot higher to shift,then once it shifts,the rpms go back to where they were.

So you get a "up and down" effect on rpms every time it shifts from 1st-2nd-3rd-4th.

anyways heres the problem. If you put the shifter in 'D' (3 speed) it shifts great,great power,no problems whatsoever. But I dont drive in that gear,because I use 'circle d'(4 speed)

So,while its great in 'd', when I put it in 'circle d' thats when I get the weird problem.

The problem,is every gear that shifts, I notice a reving up on rpms for a second then it shifts. At 15mph(it shifts to 2nd) I notice the 'rev' ,at 25mph(to 3rd) I notice it, and at 40 I notice it.

Also when you take off from start, you notice a slight hesitation,then a little "bump vibration" at around 5pm while your accelerating from zero.

Like I said, in 'd' you dont notice the hesitation or bump or reving at all.

I thought it was gear slippage, but then why do I not have this problem in 'd'?

Ive asked around, Ive had this problem for 1 year. I have little money. Im thinking about changing the modulater,new filter,new gasket,new fluid(with some lucas oil tranny additive) all myself, but people tell me all that work wont fix it.

So Im wondering,is there some sort of "sensor" that only is used during 'circle d' and not 'd' then maybe this sensor should be replaced

I however own a haynes book, but I need to know exactly what to fix ,because EVERY tranny shop in town likes to take advantage of me and say "you need new tranny $2000"

Im not going to a junk yard either. I get my parts from lmc, but I was wondering if any of you are like " yeah I know exactly what the problem is"....then tell me.

thank you

Back