• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Additive vs Synthetic

lolar

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
I have a 2002 Mountaineer with the dreaded shudder while shifting from 3rd to 4th. Couple of questions: It seems like it got very noticable after I had new tires put on although they were the same size as stock (245 70 16). I am thinking of trying synthetic tranny fluid since some of the posts say that will help smooth it out and help with gas milage (around 10mpg! in town). Ammco says it has an additive that will do the same thing with a flush for much less, $200 vs $500 for the synthetic. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Also, I have read that the shudder can be corrected by a computer re-program. Is that true? Thanks, Lolar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would definately switch to a full synthetic ATF. $500 - are they insane?

I see no need for any addative with a high quality synthetic ATF.

Good luck ....

That price quote was from Aamco. Does anyone know of a shop in Chicago that works on Mountaineers?

jesus thats expensive...we do a full synthetic trans flush for 279 canadian. look elsewhere cause ur getting ripped off. as for the additives, we use them when we do flushes simple because they do help alot with rough shifting and the ones we carry also have a stop leak built in to it. you dont need it with synthetic atf but it wont hurt it. a good additive can probly help, but the syn atf will go a lot longer than just the additive, why bandaid it when you can do it right

ATF flus is simple for a DIYer and you can save a lot.

Using Amsoil ATF (15 quarts ), it only costs about $140/

Your 5R55W transmission uses Mercon V semi-synthetic. You could use full synthetic. The additive which the shop was referring to is made by Lubegard. It is supposed to add a friction modifier to Mercon III to convert it to Mercon V. It may behave like Mercon V, but won't be semi-synthetic. Check WWW.ATRA.Com for a certified transmission shop in your area.

What about dropping the pan and changing the filter? Should this be done with each transmission flush?

The maintenance schedule indicates that trans fluid and filter change can go till 150K miles. That seems kind of extreme to me and I plan to do it at about 75K, or less if it starts shifting hard.

Lolar, how many miles are on your Mountaineer? Also, if you find any more info on a TCM program tweek please let us know here. I've had good luck with shops that use BG equipment and supplies with my other cars. http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php Good Luck.

That price quote was from Aamco

That says it all! Biggest rip off tranny place known to man.

It has about 73,000 miles. Thanks.

The Lubegard additives are great, and they are available specifically for most all fluids for trans and power steering. They make one just for Mercon V.

$500 is about $400 too much, for the cheap or stock type of fluid received. Find a place which will change fluids with your fluid, not their's. Try to find someone who will change all of the fluid, not just the five-ish quarts that drop with the pan/filter. The torque converter holds a gallon, many have drain plugs in them.

Check the fluid many many times after changed, it takes quite a while to completely fill the trans. Good luck,

Back