• Register Today It's free!

4.0 vs Synthetic Oil Problems

Carl D.

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
Recently I changed my Oil replacing the regular 10W-30 Valvoline Oil with 10W-30 Valvoline Durablend Oil. I emmediatley noticed a Chattering noise coming from the engine after the oil was changed. Took my X to my Mechanic who said that the chatter was Timing Chain Chatter which was caused by the use of sythectic oil in the 4.0.

My mechanic stated that the 4.0 are prone to engine problems when synthetic oils are used, do to there super thin viscosity which, in this case, affected the tensioner for the timing chain.

The engine in my X is new with only 8000 miles and was running perfect before the oil change, even averaging about 275-280 miles per tank with all my mods.

Has anyone else had this problem with the synthetic oils.
:mad: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem with syn oil, switched at 75,000 miles, now have 98,000 miles, I've been running syn for 2.5 years now and about 4 oil changes worth.

Super thin viscosity? Well, 10W-30 is 10W-30. 30 weight oil is 30 weight oil, whether it's syn or regular.

Now, there are 2 schools of thought on running oil in new engines.
School #1: you should run regular oil (aka dino) (aka break in oil) in a fresh engine for the first few thousand miles. This will allow the rings to set properly. Synthetic oil is too slick to allow the rings to set properly.
School #2: you can run synthetic oil from the start on a zero miles engine. It will provide superior protection and the rings will have no problem breaking in.

I don't know if this relates to a timing chain issue; it's possible I don't know because I'm not a mechanic, but it seems unlikely that the viscosity of oil would affect the timing chain tensioner. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your mechanic is wrong. 10W30 designates the viscosity, synthetic or dino. There is not a viscosity difference between the two, except at extremes, where the synthetic continues to hold the viscosity better than the dino. Changing from dino to synth will NOT cause damage to the motor.

First of all get a new mechanic; that fellow is out to lunch.

Second, you are not using synthetic oil, you are using a blemd ( whicj contains very little synthetic ). http://www.valvoline.com/durablend/

I would never use anything but a full synthetic in any motor I own.

Good luck

91 4.0L with 170,000 change to synthetic at 168,000. No issues at all. Went from regular Castrol to Mobil 1 sythentic.

My gas mileage went from 280 to 325 per tank though.

Brian

I've got a SOHC with 101,000miles and a OHV w/121,000miles that have use Mobil-1 since new.

Sam's club has 6-pack for $23 and change

Are you sure 10w30 is the right weight oil? 5w-30 is more common.

Both engines allow you to fill the new oil filter before install. I use a gallon zip-lock plastic bag around the old filter when I remove it o catch anying drippings.

Anyway your mechanic is full of it. Obivisouly he has never worked on a Corvette, Porsche etc. Here is the lit from mobil1.com
Chris

Don't Just Take Our Word For It
Mobil 1® comes as standard equipment in some of the finest production vehicles you can buy. It's "factory fill" in Chevrolet Corvette, all Porsches, Mercedes-Benz AMG models, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang Cobra R and all Aston Martin cars. Here are some remarks from some of the top engineers and executives at these renowned manufacturers.

I've had clatter in mine with dino oil, and I switched to synthetic about a year ago and it seemed to help the motor, certainly didn't hurt it!

"My mechanic stated that the 4.0 are prone to engine problems when synthetic oils are used, do to there super thin viscosity"

I have been using full synthetic in mine for years now with no problems and zero leaks.

Thanks for all your responses. I didn't think that Durablend/Synthetic Oil would have created that problem, but I'm not a mechanic so I thought I would double check. I'll let you all know how this turns out.:thumbsup:

Just my 2 bits:

I just bought my X (it's an '01 40,000 miles), and immediately drained and replaced with synthetic oil (Mobil 1), might as well not cheap out on oil.

Besides it is possible to drive 10-20 maybe 50 or 100 thousand miles between oil changes (the jury is still out) change the filter!...LOL. No probs with noises or timing belts or chains.

Somewhere in this web page is a great thread about synthetic oils. Look in...great advice as always!

Ps. I get 350 miles per tank @ 19-20 Mpg. But I drive like Granny Moses goin' to Sunday school.

Back