Tranny? Clutch? other serious issue?? HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny? Clutch? other serious issue?? HELP

NMN691

Reaction score
City, State
Ridge, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Alright guys so im new to this forum although ive been on it looking around for months now im just finally in need of assistance myself that i cant already find on here.

Ok so i have a 91 Explorer Sport 5 Speed . Its been sitting for about a year since i had my 91 Mustang on the road (im selling now if anyones interested). I had given this truck to my father a few years back and now have it back and theres an issue with it hes not sure of and i for some reason cant figure out...

Ok so the engine runs fine no issues i know of.. When i put it into gear the clutch is tight like it should be but it doesnt really catch until its about 90-95% up and it feels like it doesnt have too much power. the tranny was replaced 3 years ago the clutch 2 years ago. im wondering which guy messed up. or if its maybe the flywheel or something . cause like i said the clutch feels real tight so i dont think it would be that but ive blown a tranny it i only blew a gear at a time it wasnt like this because this still goes just feels like major loss in power.

Back before we took it off the road i remember at higher speeds like maybe 45-55mph id hit the gas and it would sortof put-put a bit , until i started putting higher grade fuel in it. so that may be a whole different issue.

If anyone has any suggestions at all please help. ask me whatevers needed to figure this out before i take it somewhere and spend more money then its worth...

Thanks guys -Nick

hows the freeplay on the clutch pedal? does it disengage once you hit the pedal or are you finding yourself pushing it all the way down.

Back