• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Fluid Dipstick Accuracy

mrd

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Bragg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited Edition
How accurate is the transmission fluid dipstick? Is there any reason I shouldn't expect the indicators on the dipstick to indicate the actual fluid level?
I ask because, after AAMCO replaced my transmission for a hefty sum, I've found the fluid level to be consistantly well above the crosshatched area on the dipstick. The AAMCO technicians I have brought this to the attention of have said it is a normal reading. I am confused.
I used a handpump to suck out fluid last night, and now it's reading about half-way between the two dots below the crosshatched area when warm. About 32oz came out to make it there! Should I add a bit until it reaches the top dot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, if anyone can recommend a good transmission fluid additive that can be found at Advance or AutoZone, it would be helpful.

I'd take it to the top of the crosshatched area. The only additive I'd recommend is Lubegard, and the chain stores do not carry it.

I had/have a similar problem and got some answers HERE

I haven't gotten back to my tranny shop to ask them, but i plan to drain some soon.

Chain stores do carry Lubeguard.

Stock dipsticks are a PITA, it takes time and patience to get an accurate reading.
You see one side will pick up fluid on the way in and out of the tube.

I have found that if you put the stickin straight, do not let it turn, and do it quickly you are more likely to get an accurate reading.
Also if you just added or removed fluid. wait a while for it to settle out of the tube, then bring the engine to temp, run it through all the gears, then check fluid level.

"Chain stores do carry Lubeguard."

Ah, I learn something new every day. Thanks 410!!

Carquest, Napa, and I think I saw it at Pep Boys as well.

Lube Guard is what I use as well, it and BG ATF+3 are the only two addatives I would use in my auto trans.

Lubegard is great stuff, do add some.

Dry the dipstick, put it in, take it out, and see which side has a lower reading.
Remember which side that is, and which way you pulled it out. Ignore the other side, reinstall the dipstick(wiped dry), pull it out, and check the correct side.

Add trans fluid in small amounts, less than 16 ounces. Good luck,

This could be a silly question too, but thought I would cover it. You are checking the fluid with the engine running, right?

You are checking the fluid with the engine running, right?
;) Yes of course.
Both sides of the stick seem to be even. The level seems to raise as it gets hotter. The highest I've seen it since removing fluid was the top of the cross-hatched area.

Fluid expands a lot as it gets hot. Sometimes it takes 20 miles of driving (cold days) to get one to the hottest (most expanded) position. Most dipsticks say to check when "hot", not cool or warm, engine runningin park, and on level ground. Some people seem to ignore the level ground part. :rolleyes:

What does lubeguard do for a transmission?

Let me start by saying as a rule I do not believe in "mouse milk" additive products. Lubegard is an exception, even the car makers use it...I have little doubt than when FORD put out the TSB on additives for the 5R, it was a lubegard product.... but to answer your Q, I'll just direct you to their website..www.lubegard.com. I'll make an exception and believe (with some toning down of the madison avenue puffing) what they say.

Glacier991 said:
Let me start by saying as a rule I do not believe in "mouse milk" additive products.......

Thats exactly why I asked. I have seen what some of those additives do to a transmission (or what I think did it). One guy put STP in one. :eek: I was surprised you recommended something going into a transmission other than the proper fluid.

The ATF protectant is what you all are refering to?

Glacier is teaching class tonight.

Thanks professor. ;)

Yes, Lubegard Red. If I am not mistaken VOLVO requires it on rebuilds for warranty.

(wink - class dismissed)

[Raises hand]One more question professor. When is the final? [/lower hand] :p

Sorrry I had to. I get that one a lot at school.

No final, just a pop quiz. given when your trannie craps out.

uh-oh...I better start studying now. :eek:

:)

Well, I'm not very smart when it comes to mechanics. (Just refer to my 96 Explorer tranny slip posts, and you'll understand.. lol). However, when I asked the shop that rebuilt my tranny, they said it was 'recommended' to 'overfil' these new rebuilds.. Should I trust them? I dunno, it seems to be working fine so far though.

david_86, it takes quite a bit of time(maybe ten minutes) to properly fill an empty transmission.

That person that told you that is lazy, and is his/her way of not doing the job right. I call that stupidity, because they know it's wrong, and they choose to do it anyway.

No I wouldn't trust them. Make them set the level exactly right, don't go back to them, and tell anyone that you can about their poor work. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back