tranny fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny fluid

cmillls45

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
94 XLT Ex, 130K, 4 wheel drive. For the last month or so I have been losing tranny fluid. I don't drive it that much (about 50 miles max each week)since I am in college and I havent been able to work on it with my dad since it started happening until this weekend.

I have to add about a quart each week. I am pretty sure there isnt an external leak because I have been checking underneath the truck and havent seen any ATF. I have been checking the fluid when the engine is warm and while it is level. I posted on a different website and the admin said that if my truck has a vacuum modulator on the tranny it may be bad, causing the tranny fluid to be sucked into the engine and get burned off.

How do I know if I have a vacuum mod and where is it if I do have one?

Also, another person told me that I could have trans fluid leaking into the trans case. I am going to work on the truck this weekend or next so if anyone has any clue, let me know. Thanks a lot.
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 94 XLT also, and had the same problem this spring @ 116K miles. It was definitely the trans vacuum modulator, and yes, you have one. The easiest way to tell is to check your vacuum lines near the engine for trans oil in them.
It's mounted on the right side of the trans, and you have to pull the passenger seat out and lift the carpet up to expose the trans hump and get to the access panel.
It's not a hard fix, just a bit time consuming and requires a wee bit of patience. There is a great step-by-step thread on this on the forum. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Welcome to this forum! You have the A4LD 4 speed automatic transmission which has the modulator on the passenger's side of the transmission. This part is to the rear of the 2 servo pistons, and is usually under a sheet metal cover. Be careful when removing the modulator not to lose the pin inside of it. There are 3 modulators for this transmission, so make sure that you get the correct one. WWW.AutoZone.Com, and WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com sell them. There is the regular version, the adjustable one, and the one for turbo equipped vehicles. You should get the regular one. The adjustable one is OK, but it's a little hard to get to the adjusting wheel to fine tune it (especially since these vehicles have a sheet metal cover). When installing the new part, put some petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the pin to help keep it from falling out. Spray out the vacuum line with WD-40 or Seafoam to remove any left over ATF.

Yep it sounds like the modulator. I however took both seats out when I did mine. It was easier to get to with the carpet folded into the passenger area.

I'm unable to find the exact thread I referenced thus far.
There are many threads on this topic if you do a search, and BrooklynBay hit on something very important in regards to the pin. Do not loose that pin, and make sure you install it in your new modulator. Your trans won't shift right without it, and they are difficult to find if you need a new one. Other than that, it's a matter of one bolt holding it to the trans, and a vacuum line attached to it.

I found there was plenty of room(for me) after taking out the passenger seat, and the center console, so I left the drivers seat in.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up not having time to replace it but I will do it within the next couple of weeks. I just have to keep adding ATF.

I did go to Napa to buy the modulator. All they had was the regular one, not the adjustable one. I see from other posts/forums that people have used this one and it works. If I ended up buying and using the adjustable one, how would I know if/when it is adjusted correctly?

I really appreciate everyone who reads and posts on this forum. Thanks again. Chris

Back