losing tranny fluid ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

losing tranny fluid ...

GoFastGreek

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exp.Sport
I just picked up a 93' explorer XLT, 4wheel drive, V6, automatic. It only had 88k miles on it. It has a few minor problems ...the main problem I need help with is that it loses a little tranny fluid but there are know leaks around the transmission. The odd thing is that the tranny fluid is somehow getting into and mixing with the motor oil in the crankcase. I've talked to a couple of mechanics and tranny guys and they say its not possible. But I can see that when the tranny dip stick reads add oil, the engine oil dip stick reads over full. It does appear that I'm getting a small leak at the rear main bearing seal on the motor.
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be helpful,
Thank you for your time, GFG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the vacuum modulator fails, transmission fluid gets sucked into the engine. How it is ending up in the oil and not going out the exhaust has me stumped maybe the pcv?

Are you sure the tranny fluid is mixing with the oil? I'd get the oil tested by Blackstone Labs. They'll tell you.
If you have something mixing with the oil it's usually going to be coolant.

The wet rear main seal is pretty common on these trucks but it shouldn't be the cause of your crankcase being overfilled.

I agree with JoshP, the vac modulator is probably bad. Pull your brake booster vac line and see if there is trans fluid in it.

Are you sure the tranny fluid is mixing with the oil? I'd get the oil tested by Blackstone Labs. They'll tell you.
If you have something mixing with the oil it's usually going to be coolant.

The wet rear main seal is pretty common on these trucks but it shouldn't be the cause of your crankcase being overfilled.

I agree with JoshP, the vac modulator is probably bad. Pull your brake booster vac line and see if there is trans fluid in it.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.... I recently winterized the radiator and I'm sure that I'm not losing any coolant. The motor oil was changed about 3 months ago and I changed again this week, prior to changing the dip stick showed that the oil level extremly over full. I thought it might have the wrong dip stick but oil after change dip stick reads normal.

I haven't checked the brake booster vac line yet, but I agree this could be caused by the vac modulator.
I just don't know how it's getting into the crankcase.

I should also mention I just got smog tested a couple of weeks ago and there were no problems.

Is there a thread on location and changing the modulator.

Thanks again GFG

Back