• Register Today It's free!

TRANNY FLUID

xplorgee

Reaction score
City, State
Lenexa, Ks.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Allrighty, I have about 49k miles on my 99 XLT. I want to drain and drop the tranny pan and put mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid in. Is it hard to do? Or should I shell out 180 to have it done by a local place? All suggestions welcome of course. After changing to synthetic tranny fluid, how long b4 the next change.

GEORGEE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do a filter change, you will only be changing about 1/4 of all the tranny fluid. So if your going to swap out the fluid with synthetic you want to change all of the fluid to synthetic, not just 1/4. Knowing this I would recomend bringing it in.

Its not that hard to drain the entire trans. There should be a drain plug on the torque converter about the size of a 10 mm bolt. Unscrew that, drain and drop the pan, and if you have an air compressor remove the coolant lines and blow them out. After that you can take a quart of fresh fluid and pump it through the lines to help flush them out. then put it all back together and fill it up.
Its a messy job, but if your prepped to drain the pan, then the rest isnt that bad.

If you take it to Jiffy Lube they shouldn't charge more than 50 bucks if you supply the Fluid. The fluid is expensive about 12-14 quarts of Synthetic.

I did it myself by detaching the return to the radiator (top metal tube on radiator) and attached a 3/8" transmission line 4 foot long transmission line ran into a bucket. Then I poured new fluid in the fill tube as I pumped the old fluid out by turning on and off the engine. It might be worth it to pay someone for this service as it is quite messy.

Jiffy Lube did mine and I am very pleased with the results.

The Mobile 1 increased my gas mileage.

Good luck......

Back