• Register Today It's free!

Tranny issue's

chico

Reaction score
City, State
Chehalis, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I have a 91 ex and here's the deal....It drives and pulls good, but i've noticed when i am at a dead stop and give a good bit of gas then let off then go again it will slip(like it's in nuetral)but then it will go just fine. I've changed the filter and fluid recently and all looks good. Any help would be great. Thanks, chico

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more than likely a sticky valve in the valve body.... not a huge issue actually. Patient: "Doc it hurts when I do this". Doc: "Then don't do that". How many miles on it ?

Well I just got it about 3 months ago...it says 110,000. I don't know if it's rolled over or what, runs good and no smoke. Thanks, chico

This sticky valve....is it something that I could do? (I'm not a mechanic but I install my own lifts and all the maintenance on both our trucks) But I know my limits too...Thanks again, chico

you mean when you pull up to a light, and you are in drive, it's you rev up to go and it's like you are in nuetral, then around 2500 RPM the tranny then "Clunks" and you go...

I have the same problem, I know I have a bad Vaccuum modulator on the tranny that has to be replaced, I think that might be my problem....

pull off one of your vaccuum hoses off the tree and see if there is any oily residue in there, if so your modulator might need to be replaced, I hear it's a $20 part, just tricky to get at

No...my problem is it will go and if i let off and back on the gas to soon it will seem like it's in nuetral...but could the same thing be causing mine??????

Do check the vacuum modulator.... it is on a possibles list. Removing and cleaning the valve body is well within the capability of the average home mechanic. You will need a diagram of the valve body and were everything goes.... I recommend taking apart one bore at a time and bagging it and identitying it... then cleaning the valve body thoroughly, then gently and carefully reassembling everything using lubricant and making sure everything moves smoothly. Clean the solenoids and if your 3-4 solenoid has a screen clean it too. I have a few pictures of this process in the Rebuild Diary. I can provide you a valve body diagram with an exploded view of springs and spools.

Cool...Thanks man...A diagram would help too. I have a manual on my truck also but i don't think it has it in there. Thanks again bro, chico

Back