• Register Today It's free!

Tranny problem on 02 4 door V8

Explorer46L

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer "XP8"
OK, here is my problem. For the most part the tranny works great. Silky smooth and quiet. But sometimes the transmission kinda stays in gear longer than it should. Here is what I mean. I will be accelerating at a normal pace and the truck will go to downshift, but before it does the RPM's kinda float for a second. Like it will stay at 3K for a second longer, like the transmission is searching for the gear. It normally happens around 3K and is infrequent. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't duplicate the problem. Any of you guys had a similar problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles and what kind of preventative maintenance have you done to it?

Car has 20K on it. Haven't really don't any preventative maintenance on it. It is only a little over a year old.

Go to ford and have your PCM reprogrammed under warrenty. there is an update for the probelm not a very uncommon problem with the 4.6L V8

exteo is correct. There is a tsb regarding this issue on 2002 V8 explorers. Reprogram the PCM and relearn the trans shift strategy.

Anyone know a site to check the service bulletins for Ford?

To check the most recent TSB's on all ford vehicles you need a pass word to get in to www.inford.com unless anyones knows what another site. Why do you ask???

Go to www.alldata.com and you can read the summaries for free or enroll for $ and be able to get the full text.

Back