Tranny problem with 2001 4x4 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny problem with 2001 4x4 Explorer?

stingerj

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 4x4
Hey I have a 2001 4.0L 4x4 Explorer and last night I started it up and pulled out of a parking lot, and when I accelerated it slipped out of gear. Then RPM increased dramatically but I went nowhere after it slipped out. I immediately let off the gas and pulled over... After pulling over I checked everything I could and then tried again. I was able to select 1st or 2nd gear and drive in those gears, but no Drive or reverse at all. If Drive or reverse are selected it just slips and barely moves at all. I carefully limped it home in 2nd and now am trying to figure out what could have happened? This vehicle has no history of ever slipping in any gear or any problems shifting or anything that I know of with the tranny, so I dont think it is just bands wearing out or anything like that. I was thinking it has to have to do with the linkage or shift servos or something?? Anyone have any experience with this? I would appreciate any help... thanks..

Internal problem, could be broken sprag inside the transmission.

So I am looking at a replace or rebuild situation?

Back