• Register Today It's free!

Tranny troubles

beendooben

Reaction score
City, State
Avenel, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 Explorer AWD XLT
Sorry for the double post. I posted this problem in the wrong forum and i do apologize any way here it is.

The trans in my 97 explorer has been totally weird lately. The trans always had the 2nd-3rd gear issue of having to let off the gas around 40mph and it would shift. Lately the trans will shift ok some of the time but has not been shifting until the motor is just about screaming. The 1st to 2nd shift will occur around 3500 rpm's. The 2nd to 3rd shift will occur just around 50-55 mph. 3rd to fourth happens with low rpm's and just letting off the gas. I had and have reset the computer a few times thinking that it was in limp mode. The first time the issue was gone for a few days. The second time it only lasted about a half hour(i may not have allowed enough time for a good erase). I have resest the computer again but have yet to drive it being that iam at work and can't leave. The truck has over a 197k on it and does need a desperate fluid change which should be done today. To the best of my knowledge it has a 4R70W trans. I have a tought time deciphering AODE and the 4R. While i have the pan down I would like to swap out the servos for the 2nd-3rd shift and the EPC and also the Speed Sensor while I'am under there. I would like to know if there is anything else that should be checked while the pan is down. Any help in resolving this is highly appreciated and all of the reading has been very knowledgable.

thank you gigantically. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks.. If the band is broke from what i recall there would be slippage and or the gear that the band is for would be lost. Neither of these are occuring.

The pan will be hopefully be dropped today. The fluid is definitely cooked but still shifts great when it does.

does this happen only with O/D on? if you don't know, I'd suggest driving around a little bit after turning off O/D to see if the issue persists.

and it starts to shudder when it thinks about shifting but doesn't, right?

I had an issue in mine when going ~30-40 with O/D ON, it would start to shudder until I let off the gas. The issue did not occur when O/D was turned off.

Luckily it was under warranty and the dealership fixed it. I believe there may have been a TSB on it, but not positive.
I also cannot remember what they did to correct the issue, unfortunately.

Will try to turn off the OD on the way home from work. The trans would shudder once in a while going in fourth then would downshift and be ok after that. Did not think about turning the OD off and seeing what would happen. thanks

Will try to turn off the OD on the way home from work. The trans would shudder once in a while going in fourth then would downshift and be ok after that. Did not think about turning the OD off and seeing what would happen. thanks

sounds like the exact issue I had... just wish I could remember what they did! Although... I may have the receipt from the dealership still.... I'll hafta look when I get home.

Does anybody know what this is?

Today i finally got the pan down on the truck. Replaced the fluid and filter and the shift selonoids. When i took the pan down there was a piece as seen in the pic and i have no clue what it is, where it goes and what it's function is. Please help.

alrighty then. thats a big relief although with the amount of mileage thats pretty sad. Now tomorrow i can see if the lil bit o fresh fluid helps with the issue. I ordered some parts and they should show soon. Once i swap em out the whole trans is gonna get flushed and then i will see what happens.

found the invoice from when I took my truck in years ago for the shuddering at 40-50mph.

unfortunately they didn't right down diddly squat.

CUSTOMER CONCERN OF HARSH VIBRATION BETWEEN 40-50MPH
DOES NOT DO IT WITH OVER DRIVE TURNED OFF.
TIRES POSSIBLY NEED BALANCED ALSO
TEST DROVE. FELT SLIGHT VIBRATION. CHECKED TIRES. BOTH WHEELS ON THE RIGHT SIDE HAVE NO WEIGHTS ON THEM. RECOMMEND START WITH A TIRE BALANCE.
BALANCED ALL WHEELS

But then I have a couple other parts I'm not sure about that are listed in the back page, not listed in any of the jobs.

E3TZ-7045-C [NEW NUT - TRANS]
- per FastPartsNetwork this is: NUT-TRANS INP SHFT B (???)
E3TZ-7052-B [NEW SE ASY - TRA]
- transmission to t-case gasket/seal I guess?
F0TZ-7025-B [BBRG ASY-TRANS]
- not a clue

From the description of the parts it looks like they replaced the bearing for the output shaft on the transfer case which i could see it causing the vibration. My trans was not too shabby this morning on the way into work but it has done that before. Hopefully it will last atleast until i get the cash to do a full rebuild if the pressure selonoid does not correct it.

From the description of the parts it looks like they replaced the bearing for the output shaft on the transfer case which i could see it causing the vibration. My trans was not too shabby this morning on the way into work but it has done that before. Hopefully it will last atleast until i get the cash to do a full rebuild if the pressure selonoid does not correct it.

there was a separate job in regards to the t-case, in which they stated they replaced the front output bearings and front output seal. Nothing about the rear output or input shaft, so I'm unsure.

But this: NUT-TRANS INP SHFT B, makes me think input shaft? But there is no nut on the input shaft for the t-case.... which is why it's confusing. And hunting down actual descriptions of the Ford part numbers has been difficult, to say the least.

Back