• Register Today It's free!

tranny

Charlie McGuire II

Reaction score
City, State
Ks.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expolorer XLT
I have a 5R55W in an 02 explorer 4x4 that went out and I am wondering what tranny I could replace it with. I would like to keep overdrive but if I have to go back to a 3 or 4 speed to keep cost down I will do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get it rebuilt by a reputable shop,what makes you think the trans is shot? how many miles are on it?

It has 250,000 miles on it and I lost R, and possibly OD, if it get rebuilt I would do it but I am afraid that the servo shaft will need to be sleeved and a replacement is about 1800.00 I was wondering if there was a better tranny then the 5r55w, from what I have been told by my supplier that tranny is not the best one ford build so I was wondering if there was a different tranny that I could swap in that would be less costly or better then the 55w

I forgot to say that I am an auto tech but not petty well versed in auto trans that is why I was asking about the swap.

actually not a bad trans there are upgraded rebuild kits for these weak points,

I'm no pro but i own three of these trannys right now,and would rebuild them if any of them go out...

that is a transgo shift kit comes with the pump alignment tool.check out his 5r55 introduction video,very informative,but its about an hour long..amazon has them for about $69..find out which trans you have 5r55s i think..and i believe he uses a superior rebuild kit..for internals..

I know for sure that it is a 5R55W, according to the build sheet. could you swap out the W for an S or N what one would be a better one.

like i said, im no pro but they are pretty much the same internals, rebuild the one you have. look at the mileage you got out of it..and that could be rebuilt better the factory...none of these transmission are bullet proof..i have a 5r55s -w-and r and i would rebuild any of them if the issue arises.

there are repairs/upgrades for just about all the weak points on these trannys

@Charlie McGuire II
5R55W and 5R55S are idential overall, with the difference being in planetary gear ratios. "N" is different altogether. If an S is swapped in place of a W, "incorrect ratios" codes will be generated. If ANY trans. other than the original is installed, assuming the replacement is electronically-controlled, the PCM (computer) which ran the replacement must be used. Then, depending on which model the replacement came from, ABS codes will likely be thrown, with the result that the ABS Module might shut down the engine altogether. It happened to me.

Swapping powertrain units has become a science nowadays. imp

My 2002 4.6L 4x4 came with a 5R55S. I assume you do not have the "tow package" which is why you have a W and not the S?

Sleeving the servo bores isn't a big deal if you have the tranny out. I've heard that even the brass sleeve fix sometimes wears through again like the aluminum but maybe not as fast. My only real "big" complaint about the 3rd gen Explorer is the that dang servo bore issue.

@Charlie McGuire II
5R55W and 5R55S are idential overall, with the difference being in planetary gear ratios. "N" is different altogether. If an S is swapped in place of a W, "incorrect ratios" codes will be generated. If ANY trans. other than the original is installed, assuming the replacement is electronically-controlled, the PCM (computer) which ran the replacement must be used. Then, depending on which model the replacement came from, ABS codes will likely be thrown, with the result that the ABS Module might shut down the engine altogether. It happened to me.

Swapping powertrain units has become a science nowadays. imp
Thank you for clarifying these facts...and your opinion on the original question, if he should be switching out for 4r44 let say, thanks

My 2002 4.6L 4x4 came with a 5R55S. I assume you do not have the "tow package" which is why you have a W and not the S?

Sleeving the servo bores isn't a big deal if you have the tranny out. I've heard that even the brass sleeve fix sometimes wears through again like the aluminum but maybe not as fast. My only real "big" complaint about the 3rd gen Explorer is the that dang servo bore issue.
yes in fact it is those servos are the biggest, issue and the misconception on this, is the band torque values vary with each of these very similar transmissions, the valve bodies are also the cause of pump failure.cooler flow valve as thermostatic and they stick leaving you with no cooler flow. all have a cure though if these are correctly rebuilt ..thanks for the help on this

Back