• Register Today It's free!

trans problems (A4LD)

SSR

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Ridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
My A4LD in my 94 explorer (80k miles) doesn't want to downshift like it should. In fact, it tries to start out in 2nd gear almost all the time, even after i've sat at a light for 30 seconds with my foot on the brake. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say it, but replace or rebuild...

Sounds to me like the problem is that you have the A4LD :D Really though, Jon is probably right, at 80k, it's about time for your auto to die. Mine will probably kill itself soon, too (84k, bone stock). I'm hoping that it will wait until I can afford the engine swap I'm planning.
:smoke:

How much would a rebuild cost me do you think? And is there any alternative, such as replacing with a different kind of trans? Maybe a 4R70W, or something better?

No chance on the 4R70W.

But some beleive it can be mated to a 3-speed auto w/o o/d that was originally on some earlier Bronco II's. And advance adapters is supposed to be coming out with an adapter to mate the 4.0 to a 4-speed auto made by new process. But again, no o/d. Of course if you like doing alot of work, there's always the mazda 5 speed manual conversion.

Baumann makes some good stuff, see a lot of mustang people using their products, (especially the Baumannator shift kit). Unfortunately they don't really make anythign for the A4LD. I don't want to just put another stock A4LD in and have the same thign happen again, i'd rather try and put somethign good in.

A 1994 A4LD with 80K?
You might want to have it checked out by a tranny shop before you assume the worst.... Could it be a problem with your gas pedal cable? (kickdown cable)
just a thought.

I guess I should consider myself lucky. My 1991 4DR explorer with A4LD tranny has over 153,000 miles on it, any running strong. (the only noticeable sign of wear is the slight clunk you get when you put it in to gear.

Back