Trans, Torque Converter or Flywheel?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans, Torque Converter or Flywheel??

Heavymentill

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Limited
The other day I started my truck backed out of my parking space then put it in drive went about 3 feet heard a bang then my rpms jumped as I was unable to move. I tried every gear with the same results it sounded like metal on metal rubbing coming from the torque converter area. After I shut the vehical off now I hear the starter turning but no cranking of the engine. I have kinda been anticipating this but not to this extent. Dose any one know what it might be. I took my starter off and was able to turn the flywheel only to find all the teeth intact. I'm now in the process of removing the trans. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
:banghead: Tried a search couldn't find what I needed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Believe it or not it sounds like the center of your flexplate gave out. This happened to me once. Basically, the flexplate broke in the center where you can't see it until you remove the trans. Fix = pull trans, replace flexplate(5 bolts) reinstall trans.

I believe six bolts hold on the flexplate to the back of the crankshaft from '91-'94 and from sometime in '95 on they had eight bolts because they were trying to fix this cracking problem. On '95s you have to look to make sure how many bolts there are. Here's a link to the technical service bulletin about it:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/93057214

If you had the plate crack between two bolts and didn't have any problems, another crack would likely form between the next two bolt holes, and then the next, etc., etc. until the entire center portion of the flexplate (connected to the crankshaft) wasn't connected to the outer portion (which connects to the torque converter)....then you have a situation where the starter turns the outer portion but not the crankshaft, and the engine (when it was running) turns the crankshaft but not the torque converter (and anything further back).

While you are at it you might want to replace the cranshaft pilot sleeve as well (really cheap part). I see that you have a '96, so I'm figuring you have the 8-bolt pattern. The crankshaft pilot sleeve part number for the 8-bolt pattern is F77Z-6434AA where for the 6-bolt pattern it is D4ZZ-6434A.

Hope that helps.

This board truly IS an awesome repository.

Well, I appreciate all of your help. Turned out just as you guys stated. The flywheel center where it attaches to the crankshaft had completely broke free. So when the starter was cranking it was only turning the flywheel and torque converter not the driveshaft. I was luck to have a flywheel from a 95 explorer on hand that I replaced it with. It seems the 96 version is very cheaply made as it has a welded in insert and spacer (one piece) where the 95 has a reinforcement plate and a separate spacer. Ford trying to save money in a critical area. Go figure.
AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! :chug:

Back