• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case/4wd problems

Vitos9th

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4WD
Hello, I've been trying to troubleshoot my 4WD problems recently and have not been able to figure it out, despite my reading and rereading some threads that are related to my problem.
So, I have automatic locking hubs on my 92, and the 4WD always worked like a champ in the past, typically I use it 6-8 times per year. Here is how the problem first presented itself: When I pushed the button for 4H it would light up, but I couldn't really hear it engage like it used to. After reading so many posts about the shift control module and the shift motor problems, I started there. I ran the diagnostic test on the shift control module and it checked out. Next, I opened the shift motor gear cover to check the "bump stop", which was actually intact but really worn, so I replaced it with a piece of hose that had the same dimensions. Then I put it all back together, and I had made marks so I put the cover on exactly the same as it was.
With it all back together, I tried it out while I had the vehicle raised. I turned on the 4H and the front wheels spun, so it seemed ok. then I put it in neutral to try 4L and when I did, a loud noise came from the shift motor, like it was spinning. this continued until I turned off the 4L, and when I did it made a loud clunk.
Then, 4H would not disengage. Strange. I then tried it with the vehicle lowered, and it did pretty much the same thing. Though I must say, with it in 4H it feels nothing like it did when it was working properly, and when I turn the wheel (say to turn out of my driveway) it feels tighter and more tense than it ever did.
Though I don't need my 4WD as much as some of you guys, I'd love to have it working properly but I'm kind of stuck at this point.
Any thoughts? I tried culling info from other posts but I'm still at a standstill on this. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in the meantime...

well for now I'm going to keep rereading DeRocha's 4WD sticky thread, i think my relative inexperience with working on my 4WD just needs more time reading and looking at everything, hopefully i can go through it all again and figure out my problem.

I would go back into the shift motor. You have seen that the large gear has some electrical contacts, and that is what the shift motor uses to sense position. I think something is wrong in the contacts or wiring because when it went to 4L, it never found the 4L spot on the contacts. I also suspect you have knocked off your bump stop, since it kept going around.

From what I have read about the transfer case, the control shaft from the transfer case turns back and forth, and I don't think it can go around in circles. So, this is not a fun sentance to type: If you are lucky, you only blew up your shift motor.

Take down the shift motor, see what happened to it, post some pictures, and we will see what's going on.

Yea I think I'll have to. Hopefully it is just the shift motor and not the transfer case itself. When I pull it back off I'll take some pictures of it as well, hopefully I can get this thing working and I didn't blow the case. Thanks for your reply, will keep you posted, probly get to it tomorrow after I put in my remanufactured power steering pump and do the brakes on my moms explorer.

Didn't have time to get to my 4wd drive today, got caught up with a problem with the brakes on my mom's 2nd-gen explorer. Anyways, if I'm not able to do it tomorrow, it will have to wait til next week cuz I'm going river rafting thursday-sunday for my bud's bachelor party. I'll update the tread as soon as I can dig back into my shift motor. Thanks!

Back