• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case drain cracked

WDP

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 AWD XLT
96 XLT 4.0.Auto. Borg Warner Xfer case. I guess I tightened the transfer case drain plug too much. The case has a hairline crack from the drain hole moving at 4 o'clock and is leaking. Any one have a fix before it walks all the way to the bottom of the case?? Thanks in advance.

WDP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could try jb weld but it would have to be clean and dry and scuffed a little this may buy you some time to save for a new case half or a whole new case

you could take it to a welder that can do aluminium i dont think it would cost that much

I agree with the welding part if you can remove the transfer case and get the area super clean. The welder will probably need to grind a v in the case to get a good weld that will last. You might also check out any wrecking yards and compare prices.

Thanks all, I weld, but the case is way too thin (cheap) to do much more than burn holes in. For the time being, I cleaned, roughed up and applied some high temp silicone sealant along the crack and on the drain plug. Didn't tighten the plug very much at all. One week and holding.

WDP

Back