Transfer Case Engaging on Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Engaging on Acceleration

caldi55

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie bauer
This has been getting noticably worse over the past two years and I cant ignore it any more. Whenever I push past 1/4 throtle my 97 4.0 soch explorer it bumps (almost like a light bucking), you can hear the transfer case shifting in and out. I feel it must be a malfuntion with the auto 4wd system or it is in desperate need of calibration.
Any one really know about this im not looking for speculation. If I wanted that I would pay the $85 per hour at the dealership.
Thanks
Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles?
If its anything close to 100K, the t-case is about done anyway.
Dont waste any money on the control track unit. Get yourself a 1354 and be happy. Best $300 I ever spent on the truck. Truly a bolt in job, with the exception of the shifter linkage (I got a manual shift case).

yeah I have 117K on the odometer
Whats a 1354?

I See. No I will prob replace it with the factory transfer case

Thanks

I've noticed since doing the brown wire mod that upon heavy accel. mine does engage, prob solved tho I just shut the switch off. ;)

I know but I plan on keepin my ex another 4-5 years and I want everything working (factory)
and there are other problems that the brown wire mod wont fix like when at slow speeds I turn hard I get the bump bump bump like 4wd is engaged when I know its not. Im just going to fix it right,
I have a new motor, new transmition, wheels, shocks, ball joints, steering rack. to name a few so why stop there.

Jay

The speed sensors may need to be cleaned. Otherwise, the GEM may just need to be reflashed. There may have been a recall way back when these first came out to fix harsh engagement of the auto 4x4.

Back