Transfer Case Fluid, How About Mobile 1 Instead Of MERCON V? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Fluid, How About Mobile 1 Instead Of MERCON V?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I wanted to run a synthetic fluid but the ONLY thing I could find locally was Mobile 1 Automatic Trans Fluid. The container says it works in transmissions that use MERCON V but I just wanted to double check and make sure there was no reason I couldn't use it it in my transfer case.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mercon V is a type. Mobile 1 is a brand. So long as it says it will work, and your transfer case uses Mercon V; I would say go with it.

Well yeah I know that! :)

It just seems that the Mobile 1 stuff is universal. Pretty much says anything but Type F. Just wanted to make sure no one was having issues with it.

Ive got Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my 05 Exp Xcase. Does just fine.

I put Redline D-4 ATF in my T-C! Spozed to be compatible with Mercron and Mercron IV. Its kinda hard to find, but I have not had any issues with it! Car Quest has it, Action Auto has is, but Mobil is good stuff as well and you can get it anywhere!

I wanted to run a synthetic fluid but the ONLY thing I could find locally was Mobile 1 Automatic Trans Fluid. The container says it works in transmissions that use MERCON V but I just wanted to double check and make sure there was no reason I couldn't use it it in my transfer case.

Thanks.

Whats your reason for synthetic? ALL oil gets hot and dirty. The myth that synthetic lasts longer is BS. The dirt that gets in will be bad for ALL oil, but at least you get to pay more for it.

Whats your reason for synthetic? ALL oil gets hot and dirty. The myth that synthetic lasts longer is BS. The dirt that gets in will be bad for ALL oil, but at least you get to pay more for it.

Synthetic oils tend to run cooler that conventional oils under similar conditions. cooler temps mean longer component life. Also, synthetic oils tend to have lower friction properties that conventional oils that lead to less energy losses due to that friction.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, 4 WD, having problems with the transfer case, it won't come out of 4 Wheel High,...
I keep hearing either check or change the fluid in the transfer case,... or check all the associating fuses,...

I can't find ho to check the level of fluid where to put in the fluid in my transfer case,...? I found the drain plug easy enough,...? (is it that you have to take off the sensor cover and pour it in there,...?)

and I can't find which fuses are the ones to check,...? My manual does not tell me (except #37 15 amp A/C clutch relay/Transmission)

Hi guys... would any know weather theres a difference in the v6 transfer case and the v8 case... need to replace my V8.. and i have a 2nd hand V6 Tcase avalible

Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon ATF?

So is Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid good for a 05 V8 Transfer Case?
And Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 for the Front Differential?

Correct.

So is Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid good for a 05 V8 Transfer Case?
And Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 for the Front Differential?

Back