How to: - How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Mercon V Fluid

FYI for all - Mercon V is actually a Synthetic based fluid. If you want another option besides the Ford ATF, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 - Valvoline makes a Mercon V ATF fluid that meets/exceeds Ford's spec. It is a full synthetic ATF. They also make a Mercon/Dex fluid for higher mileage called MAX Life ATF. It is essentially Mercon V (full synthetic) with seal conditioner additives to keep gaskets & seals from shrinking/leaking. This fluid can be used in the transfer case and/or in your automatic transmission too. Hope this helps and gives you other options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya basiclly all me fluid is synthetic, differentials, tranny , transfer, and motor although i have't noticed any mileage improvement or smoothness

do you guys think synthetic will make any difference in the transfer case?

It will make a difference if you change it, your tranny and front and rear differentials over to synthetics.

Thanks for the excellent write up! I intend to execute your procedure tomorrow! :)

I'm going to my local Ford Dealership next week for a full fluid swap. Transmission, transfer case, front differential, & rear differential. All OEM will be replaced with Lucas Oil.
atf_th1.gif
Lucas%20Oil%20Logo.jpg

It takes a few minutes longser, but I use a rubber hose attached to the end of a gear oil cap, I screw that to the mercon or whatever bottle and squeeze it in.

in the writeup it says "the fluid is just normal Dexron Mercon III ATF" but then everyone mentions mercon v? is it the same, or is mercon v the synthetic version?

It no matter when it comes to the transfer case hooooms.. Dexron/MerconIII or Mercon-V will work in the transfer case (not the transmission).

could you use something heavier, like oil? (i have a manual 1354m t-case)

Yes, gear oil works fine for the manual transfer case -- the gears are straight cut (not helical) so there's not as much heat generated compared to a differential where the gears are helical.

i just got some mobile 1 full syn. i need to change it because i think i submerged it when i got stuck. next time i will look into gear oil, thanks iz

What I pick-up here is that (what I have) 1997 Explorer XLT ControlTrak transfer case takes Mercon III or Dextron/Mercon V and Valvoline makes MaxLife ATF also BUT not 80-90weight gear oil? -Actually, Wal-Mart sells an ATF that can be used in just about all applications and I think it has a stopleak additive; Is this ok??????

Next, what's this "Damper" thing I hear some people talk about? - that's bolted on to transfer case.....

LASTLY, I have almost 200k miles on the thing; I see a lot of ppl on craigslist.org "parting-out" thier Ranger or Explorer. I want to rebuild a transfer case so How do I know which one I have to know that I am getting the same one to rebuild and put my Explorer down for only one day when swapping.??????
Again, 1997 Explorer XLT ControlTrack, V6, 4door, A/C, no damper, AUTO/4HIGH/4LOW

the damper is bolted to the t/case. mine covers the drain plug, its black and round.. and really heavy.

just get a full synthetic aft to put in your transfer case.

you should have the borg warner 1354..

I went wheeling last weekend and I did go through some water, but I was not sure if I submersed the case or not. I figured now was a great time to change the fluids.

I just changed mine and boy am I glad I did!

The old fluid was TAN and thin! It had water in it for sure!

I did have to remove the skid plate, and I jacked up the front end to assist in draining.

I was not fully satisfied with the drain, so I us ed a little forced air to help out. I got another few ounces out by doing this. I wanted as much of the old crud out as possible.

I used a little less than 2 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF. I cleaned up the T/C and found the aluminum tag. I also found out the case is green! Who knew? I am sure it was running hot, very hot! I am going to have a little piece of mind now.

Now for the Diffs!

I have a Bergwarner Automotive brand transfer case on my 2000 XLT. when I opened the top plug the fluid came gushing out. Can this be good or bad?

Well I don't think its good OR bad... From what I know it just depends if your vehicle was on an incline, or how full your T-case was before you drained it. I know when I took off my shift motor I lost a tiny bit of fluid so I removed the top fill plug on the transfer case to check my level. Even after loosing fluid some more still dripped out.

Thank you for it mister but I have a kind of damper in front of my drain hole....do you have any idea how to revome that damper ???
There are 3 bolts that hold the damper bracket to the case. Just undo them, it won't hurt anything, and put it back when you're done. My '02 Ranger had a damper, my '05 Sport Trac did not. The owner's manuals at the time called for changing the transfer case lube at 60k but both of mine looked like tar at 25k.
My '08 Sport Trac calls for Ford Synthetic Transfer Case Fluid, whatever that is. :dunno:

stupid question probably, but, does the transfer case only engage and start working when you put your truck in 4 wheel drive low or high? or is the transfer case always working while you drive?

about the transfer case

It is to the best of my knowledge, as was explained to me from a 27 year retiree from the Louisville Kentucky plant where the Explorers were made: "It depends on which model you have" - some have a four-wheel drive option which needs manually engaging by flipping the switch on the dash or locking hubs on first gens. However, the model having automatic all wheel drive will automatically disburse power from rear slipping wheels to all wheels as needed without using knob. This is done electronically controlled and engages/dis-engages as wheels slip, returning vehicle to rear wheel drive for efficiency. Typically, the Explorer badge on the rear,driver side of the lift gate will read "four wheel drive" or "all wheel drive" - I know in my EX- (I have All Wheel Drive) I can't hardly get wheel in the rain since it engages all wheels to spin; I confirmed my friends info by sitting in some mud and from a dead stop I hit the gas. As the back broke traction, all four tires grabbed and spit mud. - - -VIOLA! - - I have a '97. I leave it in AUTO on the dash switch and just put into 4WD when I am directly off road'n --

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so on my 00 XLS OHV , the transfer case is always working? i think that is what you are trying to say haha..

i have never changed the fluid on my transfer case, but i hardly use the 4WD high/low...

Back