• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case issue

Woosh71

Reaction score
City, State
King, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XL
I have a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition SOHC 4.0 engine. Normal driving is fine, but if I "punch it" or accelerate quickly as in going up a hill, there is a pronounced intermittent popping sound coming from the transfer case. To arrive at this conclusion I removed the front driveshaft to rule out the front dif/ axles. The 4x4 works in all modes after I changed the transfer case shift motor (a separate issue). This problem occurs only when a rapid strain on the driveline is required. Hope you have some experience in this matter. Thanks

My guess is that the front driveshaft CV is bad, not uncommon.

Did you inspect the CV when you removed the driveshaft?

Hello I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I have an explorer 2 door 52,000 miles I drive on the beach a lot and whenever I’m stopped 4 hi will constantly turn on and off. And recently it’s staying off I have to constantly switch it back to 2 for it to engage and start driving before it bumps out. It’s only got the electronic switch. Also when only in hi and I gun it in reverse i think the transfer case grinds idk I can’t figure it out 4 low works perfectly but don’t wanna get stuck using 4low at the wrong time. I’m thinking it’s not engaging properly Idk maybe the motor maybe the control module in the passenger kickpanel. Any ideas would help thanks.

Hello I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I have an explorer 2 door 52,000 miles I drive on the beach a lot and whenever I’m stopped 4 hi will constantly turn on and off. And recently it’s staying off I have to constantly switch it back to 2 for it to engage and start driving before it bumps out. It’s only got the electronic switch. Also when only in hi and I gun it in reverse i think the transfer case grinds idk I can’t figure it out 4 low works perfectly but don’t wanna get stuck using 4low at the wrong time. I’m thinking it’s not engaging properly Idk maybe the motor maybe the control module in the passenger kickpanel. Any ideas would help thanks.
Loose sand presents a nemesis to 4WD AUTO. Why are you not using 4X4 HIGH if it's available on your dashboard?

Back