Transfer Case Oil

chascath

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
VEHICLE: '97 Explorer XLT, V6, 4.0 SOHC, AUTO, 52,000 miles

Just got back from the dealer shop with what I thought would be a very minor engine oil leak due to a loose filter or plug, or some other minor nuisance item from my oil change service two weeks ago. (Note: I checked the engine oil level yesterday and it was full.) After sitting for 12 hours I would get a nickel to a quarter size spot of what appears to be oil. To no surprise with my recent luck, the tech guy informed me that it is the transfer case oil. I have a "very small hole" in the seal. He topped off the transfer case oil and stated it was less than half-quart low. He also stated that when driving the wind would sling the fluid to other areas of underneath including oil pan area. Nothing to be immediately concerned about but it will in time get progressively worse and recommend transfer case seal replacement in the very near term future. I made an appointment for this coming tuesday. Fix-it cost will be around $450 which I hope my extended warranty policy will cover. There was no charge for today's time.

The oil filter and oil pan plug are both tight and never caused a problem. I wiped areas around the oil pan and the transfer case and placed some paper underneath in an effort to pinpoint the problem myself. So far I have seen no evidence of transfer case leakage after about 12 hours.

QUESTIONS:

1. How common has this been in explorers?

2. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between transfer case oil and regular engine oil??

3. When driving, is the transfer case fluid under pressure which would exacerbate the leakage (force the liquid through a compromised portion of the seal)?

4. Shouldn't transfer case seals last longer than 5 1/2 years and 52k miles??

5. Is the stated estimate of $450 (parts and 4-5 hours of labor) sound reasonable for this work??

thanks........

transfer case uses atf, which is red.. or at least it should be! engine oil is brown.

its hard to tell though when its just slight drips or spray from the wind.

The rear seal on my 97 leaked

With 107K when I bought it. Transfer case had about a pint of real nasty stuff. Full is either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 quarts. Rear shaft seal was bad. Front or rear seal would be cheaper. For a case seal that is about right. You can add a lot of Mercon for $450 but you don't get rid of those spots. I would think a case seal is unusual unless it was worked on before. Fluid leaks more when it is hot.

1. How common has this been in explorers?
Not very common.

2. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between transfer case oil and regular engine oil??
Like jasonb said. As long as the fluid is new. The transmission and transfer case use the same red color atf while the engine uses oil.

3. When driving, is the transfer case fluid under pressure which would exacerbate the leakage (force the liquid through a compromised portion of the seal)?
It's not really under pressure, just splashing around.

4. Shouldn't transfer case seals last longer than 5 1/2 years and 52k miles??
Yes 52K sounds too soon for a leak but it happens.

5. Is the stated estimate of $450 (parts and 4-5 hours of labor) sound reasonable for this work??
That sounds expensive but I'm not sure what seal they have to replace.

Your idea of pressure washing the drivetrain and letting it sit overnight or a weekend is a great way to pinpoint leaks.
thanks........
you are welcome, hope it helps.

Back