• Register Today It's free!

transfer case problem?

stangjustin

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 99 XLT
Hey everyone, new to the site and have many questions. First off I just bought a 99 explorer xlt for my girlfriend and when i put it in 4wd high i get a banging noise underneath the truck as i accelerate and something is making a whining noise. I got another transfer case for it but have not installed it yet because im now suspecting a front diff problem. Is there anyway of eliminating one or the other? I put it up on a lift at work and ran the 4 wd high and could not verify where the noise was coming from possibly because there was no load on anything??? Anyways i love these these trucks, i have a 95 xlt myself, a 4wd 5 speed manual 4 door and its been the most reliable car i have ever owned and it just hit 200k miles. If anyone has any info on the 99 please let me know, Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the front driveshaft off or do the brown wire mod.

Are you on pavement when you put it in 4 high? Thats the problem if so.

x2 on removing the front driveshaft and trying to engage the 4wd again -- NOt on dry pavement, do it on dirt or grass.

x2 on removing the front driveshaft and trying to engage the 4wd again -- NOt on dry pavement, do it on dirt or grass.
ok so then if i still hear the banging noise then the problem is in the transfer case?

Thats correct! :D

Welcome to the forum. Hope everyone has helped you so far.

Welcome to the forum. Hope everyone has helped you so far.
Thank you, yes ive learned a lot tonight from everyone and i should be able to figure out my problem tomorrow

Back