transfer case problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transfer case problem

chrislyn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
Hello,

Model: 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC (4x4)

Problem: I was traveling down a highway at approximately 65 mph when all the sudden I heard a clanking noise and felt the front end shaking. I pulled off to the side of the road and got the truck into a parking lot. I preceded to creep forward when I heard what sounded like and felt like the drive shaft clanking and binding. Felt as though the issue was stemming from the transfer case. I tried moving the 4 wheel drive selector from Auto->4W High->4W Low but the clanking and binding continued. When I put the vehicle in park, it felt as though the strain on the drive train relaxed, but the clanking continued and the binding persisted. The question is, has anyone experienced this or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this. Up until this point, there has never been a problem.

Things checked: Universal/ CV joints are all tight. Front drive shaft was disconnected to check and make sure the front differential was ok.

Thanks
chrislyn

hello did you ever find the problem? This is exactly what is going on with my Explorer and i dont know what needs to be fixed.

I did finally fix the problem. I removed the transfer case shift motor. I moved the shaft that engages the transfer case and felt confident the transfer case was ok. I manually turned the part of the shift motor that engages the shaft on the transfer case and it made a snapping noise like it was stuck, so I remounted it and took it for a ride and everything was fine. so I went to Advance auto parts and bought a rebuilt one and installed it, has been working fine ever since. Hope this helps,good luck WES :exporange

Back