Auto Transfer case to Manual Transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Transfer case to Manual Transfer case

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi fellow Explorers....

Just need your expertise, I have a V6 SOHC '97 Explorer XLT 4WD (auto locker on front diff) and did the Brown Wire Mods with Auto/4H/4L switch on the dash and the question is "Is it possible to replace my Auto Transfer case into Manual Transfer case...?

What I have heard that the Auto Transfer Case runs with a clutch and is it possible to adjust this...?
I selected 4L and felt that it engaged then I took it to the track for test, I'vd seen on my short video climbing on some tracks and noticed the front wheel not spinning sometimes...

If you guys can help me and show us any link if this been done and how and what part I need, that would be much appreciated...
I need this done as soon as possible and I am from down under and I may have to order from USA the parts I need... please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can swap it to a manual case.

But can't you also just put your auto switch to 4hi? That should keep it in4wd no matter what.

oh that's good!
But your saying no more Auto right and it will be either (4H - Neutral - 4L)

So normal driving only rear wheel drive all the time?

You can use a BW1354 from a ranger or 91-94 explorer. you will also need the front driveshaft from the vehicle you get the case from as well as the shifter and boot. I have a 1350 in my 1996 sport, but I had to modify the driveshaft to work. the 1354 is bolt in and go.

You can use a BW1354 from a ranger or 91-94 explorer. you will also need the front driveshaft from the vehicle you get the case from as well as the shifter and boot. I have a 1350 in my 1996 sport, but I had to modify the driveshaft to work. the 1354 is bolt in and go.

oh okay... all I need to do is check online or ebay for part BW1354 complete off (explorer 91-94 or Ranger 91-94) right..?

Is that what you guy's called BW1354...?

May I ask what is the difference between BW1354 and the one you have BW1350...?

thanks heaps! :salute:

The 1354 is a bit more stout than the 1350. Also the output yokes are different. The 1354's outputs are such that the drive shaft from the donor vehicle will work with the input yoke on your axle. That particular t-case(BW-1354) works a little differently than yours. As you mentioned yours has a clutch(not adjustable) so that you can have the auto feature. In auto that electric clutch engages when the case detects wheel spin. In 4hi the clutch is engaged at 100%. 4lo is mechanically engaged(doesn't use the clutch). The 1354 is a true 2wd/4wd case in that it has no auto feature. It has 2wd/4wdhi/4wdlo. No clutch to malfunction. The 1354 was available in both electric shift and manual shift. The electronics that control the 2 cases are completely different so swapping the electric versions aren't an easy job if you're not very familiar with the systems, however the manual version is a direct bolt in as long as you get all of the shifter parts/bits/pieces. You will have to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter, but thats the only modification for the manual swap. There is a link to the swap of the 2 electric versions in my signature, to give you an idea of whats involved. I did it because for my year truck the 1354 manual cases are harder to find. I did find one a few years later and swapped to the manual case.

The 1354 is a bit more stout than the 1350. Also the output yokes are different. The 1354's outputs are such that the drive shaft from the donor vehicle will work with the input yoke on your axle. That particular t-case(BW-1354) works a little differently than yours.

I get it now, thanks! it is better if I go manual case right? I am not worry about the Auto anyway because I did a brown wire mods which works same thing (it shut off the front diff)...

You mentioned that the 4hi works by clutch and 4lo is mechanical, is that means if I'm in 4lo it shouldn't miss a beat being locked...?

I had an Issue on front wheel seems not spinning 100% only ON and OFF when I was wheeling, that time it was in 4lo...

and few months back I was driving on sand dunes and it was on 4hi.. then hour later I can smell something under (smell like clutch burning) soon I stopped then I got bogged and found out the front wheel not spinning.. I cooled it down for 30mins then I got out which started working again...

do u think it is the transfer case problem..? that's why I am thinking to go manual case for better and reliable...

what's your opinion..? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It could be either the transfer case or the center axle disconnect on the front axle. The fact that you said it slips in and out of 4lo makes me suspect the CAD. But if you are wanting to replace the t-case with a 1354 for reliability then that would tell you for sure. I have a 99 so I installed manual hubs up front to get "real" 2wd, and it's nice knowing when its in 4wd that its "in 4wd". It's definitely a worthwhile swap.

It could be either the transfer case or the center axle disconnect on the front axle. The fact that you said it slips in and out of 4lo makes me suspect the CAD. But if you are wanting to replace the t-case with a 1354 for reliability then that would tell you for sure. I have a 99 so I installed manual hubs up front to get "real" 2wd, and it's nice knowing when its in 4wd that its "in 4wd". It's definitely a worthwhile swap.

+1 :thumbsup:

CAD was 95 and 96 only. If its a 1997 it doesn't have a CAD, my front 410 diff is from a 1997 and does not have it. The diff I removed from my 1996 had it. I am also gathering parts now for the locking hub conversion

I did a brown wire mods which works same thing (it shut off the front diff)...

CAD was 95 and 96 only. If its a 1997 it doesn't have a CAD, my front 410 diff is from a 1997 and does not have it. The diff I removed from my 1996 had it. I am also gathering parts now for the locking hub conversion

I stand corrected.:D I assumed it did because of glenn's statement(I've never had an early 2nd gen) thinking it was 95-97. Now I know...

albi1, not to hijack but I have a question, I'm reading your 1354E install and thinking of doing this to my other ex 4 door. in the article you say:
"There is another brown wire in that same circuit that goes down to the electronic shift control(bottom left where you tied into the DG/LG wire). You need to cut that brown wire. If you have done the brown wire mod you know the wire we're talking about. If not I'll explain it . On the left side of the opening towards the top against the back there is a brown wire that is factory spliced right there. One goes up and to the right, one goes up and to the left, and one goes down. The one that goes down is the one you want to cut. This completes the 4wd modifications"

so do I or don't I cut the brown wire if there was never a brown wire mod made to this truck?

Yes, you do. The one that goes down to the 4x4 shift module.

No problem.

thanks heaps for all this info my friend, yes I don't have that CAD because I have this 97 gen2...

I am trying to get a Manual Transfer case online but they all selling electric, does the 91-94 explorer has SOHC?
someone says the transmission on OHC and SOHC are different and the transfer case is different too... Is that mean when I ask for the parts and make sure it came out off V6 SOHC...?

please if anyone know who is selling it please let me know thanks!

by the way you mentioned about the front manual hub, I need to pick your brain for me to install this if that's okay... I need to know what to get and what I need to get this set up, I installed a Auto Locker on my front and would like to take the pressure out of my front C.V's even though I did the brown wire mods....

still no luck for a manual transfer case :(:(:(

Can anyone confirm the gen2 explorer can fit BW1354 from a ranger or 91-94 explorer...?

I have emailed few shops online and they say its not possible, can someone clear this for me thanks.....

Wasn't it confirmed in post 5 of this very thread? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wasn't it confirmed in post 5 of this very thread? :scratch:

but he said he has a 96 model and mine is 97 SOHC V6...

"You can use a BW1354 from a ranger or 91-94 explorer. you will also need the front driveshaft from the vehicle you get the case from as well as the shifter and boot. I have a 1350 in my 1996 sport, but I had to modify the driveshaft to work. the 1354 is bolt in and go."

I just need to be 100% because I am buying this from USA and I am here from down under and its gonna very hard for me to return if I get the wrong parts... sorry mate I am still confused because few online shops says it wont fit that is why I need to confirm 100% because I have a V6 SOHC 1997......:salute:

Back