• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case swap?

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
RV Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
What model of transfer case is in the 2020 Explorer/Aviator? All I know is that it's a single-speed case without low range. Would it be possible to swap in a TC from a Ranger or F-150 to get low range? Not sure how different the 10R80 in those is different on the TC side from the 10R60 in the Explorer. Spline count?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The explorer is not a true 4wd, its uses more of an AWD setup. Ford calls it intelligent 4wd. From what I've heard, the 10r60 used in the explorer/aviator is just a light duty 10r80 from the ranger/F150 what the differences are, I don't know. It could be just less clutch plates, or smaller input/output shafts with a different spline count. Sorry, that's all the info and help I know, but it's something.

Not sure if it even has model # like the old days IE. BW1356, it's very small and barley fits in the space provided as it is and without a large amount of cutting there is no way a larger case out of a F series truck would fit let alone figuring out the electronic to run the transfer case itself.

Not sure if it even has model # like the old days IE. BW1356, it's very small and barley fits in the space provided as it is and without a large amount of cutting there is no way a larger case out of a F series truck would fit let alone figuring out the electronic to run the transfer case itself.

2020_transfercase.jpg

Wow! Thanks for crawling under your ST, Rick! That's what I'm guessing, at least.

Back