• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Wires?

4x4Hunter

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I just put a new shift motor on the transfer case tonite (in 10'F weather, outside mind you) There were 3 wires on the old one that didnt come on the new motor. I cut the wires and installed the new motor,it seemed to shift and work correctly. I'm wondering what i cut and if i'm giogn to have problems. one was a brown wire and the other two i believe were the speed sensor wires....I'd like to know for sure exactly what I cut and if there are any precautions that I should take before I start causing damage with the rest of the truck.

Thanks

Noel Hunter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wires for the speed sensor are seperate from the wiring harness for the motor the speed sensor is in the case near the output for the rear driveshaft. As far as 3 extra wires im not sure what they could be possibly for the 4x4 lights? you shouldnt have to worry about any damage.

All you need is love!

Hey, I used to spend those cold winters in Potsdam. Back to your problem. 80% of the time you don't need those wires. In this gen, I believe the brown clutch wire enables you to shift easily int 4LO and the speed detector makes sure you are not moving. You are supposed to remove those pins from the old plug and transfer them into the new one. Procedure is on this site.

Dead Link Removed

Hope you havent turned in the old motor yet.

Your gonna want to use those 3 wires you removed from the old motor and put them on the new motor. Just pull the pins out of the old harness and place them in the new one, and splice the wires together. I think these wires controll 4lo and the light. Mine didn't work until i hooked all of the wires up.

no wires

well i bundled those wires up until i can get into a garage and some warm weather to deal with it. So far I can shift into 4hi and out to 2wd without any problems. I havent tried the low, but the lights work fine. I'm not sure if i'll yank the pins from the old connector or use the old connector and just splice the wires (which I think might be easier, faster and generally more reliable) I saw the pin layout on the site that you gave, but my question is ...what does each of those 1 - 10 pins go to. Pin 1 is definitely one of the one's that i dont have hooked up. That center one that is brown. I noticed also that the picture of the TCase in the lower has the brown wire, but does not have hte speed sensor or whatever it is that sits to the far right, next to the drive shaft.

Stilll looking for answers ... Thanks for the responses

Noel

Anyone?

Anyone who is replying have ICQ, AOL or MSN?

Thanks
Noel

Well i can't tell you what all the wires do without a schematic. I wouldn't worry about what the wires do, just hook them up the exact same was as your old motor was hooked up. I do see what you are saying about not seeing the speed sensor in the picture, but i think he just removed it for the picture. I would just say splice the extra wire into the harness and silicone them shut so no water gets into them, and everything will work fine.

Back