• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Cases - AWD Replacement.

N8IWS

Reaction score
City, State
Inkster, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport, 2001 5.0 XLT
I think my AWD case is going bad after 300,000 miles. Yesterday driving it was very hard to turn the steering wheel unless I depressed the accelerator, then steered fine. I have the transfer case from my 2000 5r55e replacement and it only has 6000 miles on it. Has anyone looked at using this as a replacement? I have looked at the 4406 manual write up and considering this after winter.

But, I still have a drivability issue still to work out, no time plus holidays, it's getting pushed back until next week.

I don't know about swapping in a 4405 t-case but that tc is controlled completely electronically so I would imagine that it would be harder to install. You would have to swap in the GEM and work out all the wiring. Definitely more involved than the manual 4406. But based on your description it doesn't really sound like the current tc is bad. Could you elaborate a little on what is happening?

Symptoms.

I bought this thing with being told the converters were plugged. Well, after removing everything, they were fine. Idles perfect, revs well no load. Driving when cold it's ok, when warm, can't get out of it's own way. Removed gas cap, a little better. Ran a quick test on a scanner, one item was cycling 99% and when it indicated that, there was the bog. Ran out of time with the holiday here, I had to bring it home. I might just borrow the money and pick up another 4 door, put this away for spring time repairs. Right now, don't have the time or money to throw at it. But for $1000.00, I couldn't pass it up. It could even be the donor for my 2 door Explorer.

I don't know about swapping in a 4405 t-case but that tc is controlled completely electronically so I would imagine that it would be harder to install. You would have to swap in the GEM and work out all the wiring. Definitely more involved than the manual 4406. But based on your description it doesn't really sound like the current tc is bad. Could you elaborate a little on what is happening?

I'm pretty sure the bolt patterns/tailhousings whatever are different. You can't put a 4405 on a 5.0 trans or a 4406 on a 4.0 trans.

Back