Transfercase swap

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I'm thinking of swapping out the Control Trac out of my 95 X and putting in a manual one. I have a couple questions though:
1. What year, and model would be the best choice, excluding the altlas II, I don't need something like that. What trucks can that Transfercase be found in?

2. I have the high series center consol, so I'm guessing that there will be some frabrication as far as a shifter would go.

And for those of you that are wondering, I really don't like the control trac. I prefer having full control over what its doing. Has anyone done this? Any pics?
Thanks guys! Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im going to be installing a manual t-case from a ranger in my 97 explorer. its a Borg warner 1354 manual shift. as far as your console youd have to modify the shifter to come up next to the console. If you have access to a welder and some tools you could probably modify the shifter to work.

I new i would have to do some custom work for the shifter to work, and all the tools are availible.

question 3: what about the vaccum disconnect, just put a switch to engage and disengage like a hub, or leave it fully engaged?

Probably want to put a switch on it as to minimize wear and tear on the front end components.

if you install a switch for the vaccum disconnect you can get 2wd low. which is a really nice feature to have.

At this point, the only thing holding me back is money, and the shifter. So i'm hoping to get this done in january or february, and of course i'll do a write up on it :p

Back