• Register Today It's free!

transmission 5r55s

jimmyjam

Reaction score
City, State
bradenton,florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorerxlt 4x4
i need to drop fluid ,can i drain it from the drain plug on the transfer case or pull the duo fill plug on the pan.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi jimmyjam,
The "duo plug" will get you about 5 of the 13 quarts.
The rest is in the torque converter / lines / cooler / radiator and rest of the system and is very hard to replace.
What everyone does, is replace the 5 and the filter, and then tap into the system and pull a quart at a time out and put a new quart back in via the inside "duo plug".

Hi jimmyjam,
The "duo plug" will get you about 5 of the 13 quarts.
The rest is in the torque converter / lines / cooler / radiator and rest of the system and is very hard to replace.
What everyone does, is replace the 5 and the filter, and then tap into the system and pull a quart at a time out and put a new quart back in via the inside "duo plug".

How do you tap in and get a quart at a time?

from the transmission cooler line under the radiator is one place.

thanks ,thats what i needed to know.i was told i might have a broken band also saw post says can change it withour removing trans, any info on that ?

There's no way the band could be fixed without removing the transmission for rebuild. If it's definite that you have a broken band, it's too late for a transmission fluid flush or change. Save that money for a rebuild.

Check out the transmission section of this site, there's plenty of discussion and a detailed process on how to drain/fill the fluid.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

i had shift problems from 2-3 rd od light blinked. i changed solenoid block to no avail. no metal or even shavings in oil pan, no burnt smell. i don't believe it's the bands. maybe a sensor? any body have any suggestion's before i take it to a shop.? 5r55w tranny in a 2003 Explorer. is in excellent shape except for this. 140,000 miles.

i had shift problems from 2-3 rd od light blinked. i changed solenoid block to no avail. no metal or even shavings in oil pan, no burnt smell. i don't believe it's the bands. maybe a sensor? any body have any suggestion's before i take it to a shop.? 5r55w tranny in a 2003 Explorer. is in excellent shape except for this. 140,000 miles.

What trouble codes are displayed? That could narrow it down from about 100 possibilities to maybe just one. imp

Back