Transmission Cooler Lines (4.0L) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler Lines (4.0L)

Biniecki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 Explorer Sport 4x4 with a 4.0L. I noticed a little bit of trans fluid dripping from under the front of the vehicle. It appears to be coming from the trans cooler lines that have started to rust out. When looking up the parts I came across a couple different part numbers.

7A030 - Trans Cooler Inlet Hose - Runs from trans to cooler
7A031 - Trans Cooler Outlet Hose - Runs from upper left of radiator to trans
7C410 - Trans Cooler Hose - Runs from cooler to lower left of radiator

My concern is that these numbers specify that they are for vehicles with the 5.0L engine and not the 4.0L. Will these parts still work or do I need different ones? I have noticed some vendors will add additional letters to the end such as AA, AB, C, LA and have no idea what they mean. Can someone point me in the right direction of which parts I need. Thanks

Those sites did not offer much help. I have called the dealership and they have told me that they do not have any part numbers for these parts for a 96. The part numbers I originally posted are for later year models that have the 5.0L engine. The dealership suggested to just cut out the rusted areas and splice in some reinforced rubber hose. That or try and find replacements in the junk yard as ford no longer supports any parts for this vehicle

Does anyone know what the size of the lines are? I believe they are 3/8 but is that ID or OD. I plan to just piece in some hose but want to make sure I get the right size. Thanks

Back