96 Explorer 5.0v8 transmission cooler line issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer 5.0v8 transmission cooler line issue

penske2584

Reaction score
City, State
North Central US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer AWD 5.0V8
I am curious if beveling the lines further up was intentional to make more money or some other purpose. Q: Why put the bevel in? See pic below.

I bought this Explorer knowing there was a fluid leak. I knew it would be either brakes or transmission cooler. Fluid was brown and no smell. Engine oil smell slight burn and fuel. Trans smelled like newer fluid.

The other day we had a 4" puddle under the truck on passenger side by the wheel well. I pulled the plastic guard off to find the reason the wheels were wet but not in the middle where the guard blocked it.

I noticed the lines for trans cooler were excessively rusted.

1002928_390630534382245_1385930697_n.jpg

Above: These are the lines from the large trans cooler.
1003430_388862724559026_2002864795_n.jpg

Above: This is the bevel that caused the pinhole leaks.

I broke both off trying to keep metal from getting into the lines. After a couple hours in the dark, I cleaned the metal and re-sealed the lines for now. Temp fix til I get the new lines in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why bevel? Because it seals better with the rubber hoses...

What caused your leaks is that nasty rust. Probably the frame will soon break in pieces, don't need to worry about transmission lines.

Why bevel? Because it seals better with the rubber hoses...

What caused your leaks is that nasty rust. Probably the frame will soon break in pieces, don't need to worry about transmission lines.

Isnt that truth. The bevel is pushed from in to out. Its the second bevel on the line. The hose wasnt clamped that far up. I know the proper sealing is important.

SoNic67: So why not just use metal lines from trans directly to the cooler and radiator? Just seems to create too many issues.

Vibrations.

.......Its the second bevel on the line. The hose wasnt clamped that far up......
The second bevel serves as a stop for the hose to be
pushed up against. Probably makes it faster and easier
and more uniform for factory assembly...

Correct. It's like a marker that lets you see that the hose is pushed far "enough" over to allow the clamp space. In the factory, with those union workers paid $70/hr, you are never too careful.

Back