Transmission Dipstick help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Dipstick help

97Exploder97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Hi. I own a 97 explorer 4.0l sohc. I've had dozens of repairs done to my old truck from professional shops as well as dozens done by myself. I believe a shop had accidentally forgot to put the transmission dipstick back on as it was completely disconnected when I went to check the fluid level. I have the dipstick now, separated from the vehicle, but couldn't find where the dipstick goes back on. From what I understand, there's a bolt that needs to be removed to put it back on. However, I simply can't find it. I took plenty of pictures and was hoping someone with as much love for their vehicle could help me locate it as I believe my old truck needs a fluid change desperately. I also own the workshop manual direct from ford and it describes the entire transmission in detail but fails to mention the dipstick itself. My truck only has around 110k miles on it and I love the thing. It's my project car. I apologize for so many pictures I was having trouble uploading them and it duplicated them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P_20230320_190738.jpg

P_20230320_191522.jpg

P_20230320_190724.jpg

P_20230320_192053.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Passenger side, right behind the bellhousing. I've got a zoomed in photo for you to view.

Screenshot_20230903_200844_Chrome.jpg

Hi. I own a 97 explorer 4.0l sohc. I've had dozens of repairs done to my old truck from professional shops as well as dozens done by myself. I believe a shop had accidentally forgot to put the transmission dipstick back on as it was completely disconnected when I went to check the fluid level. I have the dipstick now, separated from the vehicle, but couldn't find where the dipstick goes back on. From what I understand, there's a bolt that needs to be removed to put it back on. However, I simply can't find it. I took plenty of pictures and was hoping someone with as much love for their vehicle could help me locate it as I believe my old truck needs a fluid change desperately. I also own the workshop manual direct from ford and it describes the entire transmission in detail but fails to mention the dipstick itself. My truck only has around 110k miles on it and I love the thing. It's my project car. I apologize for so many pictures I was having trouble uploading them and it duplicated them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 445282

View attachment 445295

View attachment 445280

View attachment 445297
Oh buddy that's gonna be a fun one because on these transmissions they have a 2 piece dipstick and the second part is pushed in to the trans with a sealant type of seal i had to order that part for mine last year and press it in and then re attach the dipstick to it and it's a pain to get in there especially when you lose fluid after the engine has been off for a while i will put the part number and link at the bottom of this post good luck and i will try and help you as much as i can

View attachment 445282

View attachment 445295

View attachment 445280

View attachment 445297
That was my old part and the new one i had to press in the previous owner taped it because it was cut and leaking fluid terribly the it was easier to remove the o2 sensor for me to get better access oh and remove the wheel liner and then it should be easy to line it all up and press it in i would replace the o ring on the dipstick itself as well while your in there

d.gif

s.gif

Back