transmission fluid flammable?

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone,
I apologize if this is a stupid question but is transmission fluid flammable? I am going to install a transmission cooler tomorrow since i've said I was going to install it for the past month and I just want to know if I can use a power tool to cut the line or not. Obviously if tranny fluid is flammable I will not be using a power tool:D thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would imagine it is some. But I wouldn't think a few sparks from a tool would catch it. It's not like gas. Just think of all the friction and pressure it endures inside the transmission, if it was very flammable it wouldn't do good with that.

It wont ignite even if you use a reciprocating saw or cut-off wheel (on a grinder for example).

great, thanks, I was looking at using a dremel like tool.:thumbsup:

Be a little careful, try not to get transmission fluid on your skin (especially if you have small cuts). Used automotive fluids are often more dangerous to your health than new fluids. So use some gloves.

It is flammable but you have to heat it up to, or past, it's "flash" or vaporization point. It would need to be heated past approx 420° F or about 225º C

Don't use a power tool to cut the lines! Small fragments could get pushed into the line then into the transmission. Use a tubing cutter with a rotary blade.
I doubt he'll be reusing those lines ;). But you have a good point, a tubing cutter would be cleaner assuming you have 360 degrees access to the line.

He means a grinder will make metal fragments get into the fluid, and thus into the transmission. This is a good point, you don't want the fragments in the transmission.
Ahah yeah I realized that after I hit post.

I doubt he'll be reusing those lines ;). But you have a good point, a tubing cutter would be cleaner assuming you have 360 degrees access to the line.

I actually was going to reuse the line, I just needed to cut a section out to thread in lines going to the trans cooler. Where can I get a tubing cutter and are they cheap??

I actually was going to reuse the line, I just needed to cut a section out to thread in lines going to the trans cooler. Where can I get a tubing cutter and are they cheap??
Oh darf -- then by all means follow Brooklyn's suggestion.

Tubing cutters are available from Home Depot and the likes, usually between $5 and $15.

If I was at school I would have one 10 minutes away but unfortunately im home for winter break. I am gonna check to see if auto zone has one though with their loan a tool program, or see if somebody I know has one, otherwise I'll just have to bite the bullet and get one. Thanks though!

Back