Transmission Fluid Leak

tldt2003

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 E.B.
Hello fellow X owners,

I noticed some fluid on the ground this morning after a round trip to the OBX from PA. It appears that the fluid is transmission oil and it's coming from the driver's side cooler line going into the bottom of the radiator.

What's the best way of going about this? Is there an o-ring on the end of the metal tube or do I have to replace the fitting?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey..
I'm having that same problem right now.. AAmco, Meineke, and Ford are telling me I have to replace the whole radiator because the fittings are only sold with the radiator, not by themselves..
What did you end up doing? Or are you still having this problem?

i would tend to lean towards the trans line more then the radiator, if i am not mistaken they are quick connect lines. i would disconnect the leaking line and see if its bright metal, they could just of gotten worn from road shock.

Hey..
I'm having that same problem right now.. AAmco, Meineke, and Ford are telling me I have to replace the whole radiator because the fittings are only sold with the radiator, not by themselves..
What did you end up doing? Or are you still having this problem?

If it is your fittings that are leaking, I removed mine....put a new o-ring inside the fitting and reinstalled with new teflon tape. It's been perfect for a few thousand miles now. I got the o-ring at advance auto, had to match one up with the original.

Ok thanx for the replies.. I'll look into both

I have the same issue with mine. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tonight to see what they say tomorrow.

Update: turns out its the radiator that is leaking. Throw me in with the rest of that bunch. Too bad they can't make radiators like they used too. My 96 made it over 10 years and 180K before it went out, this one made it ab out 112K and 5 years. Our 2005 Town n Country also made it about 95K and 5 years.

Back