northwoods explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer xlt
Hi all
New to the site.
This question may have been asked before.
I have a 2011 Explorer XLT 4x4. I have a transmission fluid leak from the fill tube. I replaced the o ring seal and also the dipstick and it still leaks.
I've done a little web searching for probable causes. One that I found is that if the transmission breather tube is plugged this could be the cause.

Has anyone had this problem?
Oh! Where is the breather the located.

Last February I had the seal and the torque converter replaced so the vent tube could have gotten plugged or pinched off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In doing a quick Search (upper right) I found one thread on a leak but there was no follow-up other than the original post. This does not appear to be a problem with the 5th generation transmission. The PTU (Power Transfer Unit) is quite another issue. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks peterk9.
I see this thread has had a few looking at it.
Thought maybe one of the transmission gurus would chime in.

Is there even a breather on these trans axles?
If not how is the pressure released. I know older transmissions had them.
It is not over filled. Haven't add any fluid to it after Ford dealer replace the seal and the torque converter in Feb.

Thanks peterk9.
I see this thread has had a few looking at it.
Thought maybe one of the transmission gurus would chime in.

Is there even a breather on these trans axles?
If not how is the pressure released. I know older transmissions had them.
It is not over filled. Haven't add any fluid to it after Ford dealer replace the seal and the torque converter in Feb.
In looking at diagrams on AutoNation Ford, https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ ,there are breather tubes indicated but I don't know if the diagram is particularly helpful in locating them.

Peter

I've seen those diagram before in my search.
You're correct them don't really show much.

Again thanks!

I dont remember where the vent is on the 6F35/50 transaxle, I wouldn't be surprised if the vent is in the dipstick cap.

Things that I see that causes leaks out the vent are over filled or overheating, also the little transfer case likes to fail due to the fluid in it leaks out or is cooked from the exhaust.

Update
It was a plugged breather vent on the transmission.
Went to Ford dealer. They thought it was the o ring seal on dipstick until I told them I already replaced the dipstick and o ring in Sept. with new one from Ford.
I said I read about breather vent being plugged could cause this condition.
They check and that was it did the fix. No charge. I'll wait to see if it worked.

Back