• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
It's time for my transmission service. Usually I take it to the dealer to have it flushed but I found that Brakes Plus will do it cheaper. Brakes Plus using Valvoline Maxlife ATF, is it ok or it’s better to use Ford ATF? Did anyone use Brakes Plus for transmission flush?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Ford calls for Mercon V. Although I have successfully used Lucas Oil, Royal Purple, and Red Line in my transmissions, and I've heard that Mobil 1 and Amsoil ATF work well also. There maybe other Multi-Purpose brands that could work. But don't use something that is specifically something else. Don't use Honda, Dex/Merc, or in this case, Maxlife. Valvoline does make a Mercon V if you want Valvoline.

Make sure you use mercon V of some brand.

The guy at the shop was asking if I also want to replace the transmission filter, it cost extra. Do I need to change the filter if I do a complete flush?

The guy at the shop was asking if I also want to replace the transmission filter, it cost extra. Do I need to change the filter if I do a complete flush?
:help:

I would change the fluid a little at a time. A complete flush with a new filter will cause for more pressure in it causing it to essentially fail. This may sound crazy, but it happened on our 91 explorer. Took it to jiffy lube had it flushed completely new filter not even a few thousand miles later it flew apart and had to get it completely rebuilt. Going through a similar problem with my parents Chevy Suburban but this time it was the transfer case and not the transmission flying apart. My dad talked to the guys over at Aamco and he suggested to replace the fluid in small amounts and not all at once for that very reason that it could fail catastrophically.
Feel free to correct me if i am mistaken please.

The best thing to do is drop the pan, change the filter, then exchange all of the fluid through the lines unless your torque converter has a drain plug. Flush machines are usually too rough on older transmissions. Stick with the "home flush" method where you exchange a few quarts at a time until the fluid runs clean.

It's a V6, it doesn't have a drain plug for torque converter.
But yes, if you didn't do a flush at the recomended intervals, do just a filter change - it will replace some of the fluid too. Do not mix the existing Mercon V with anything else. I did use Castrol Mercon V on my transmission. Expensive? Yes. But not like a rebuild transmission.

Huh...really fellas? Then why am I still driving both of my ex's after flushing them with no problems.The 94 was flushed,went to Moab for 5 days of 4 wheeling and then home.3000 miles round trip,20,000 miles and 2 years ago with a POS tranny.

The 2000 I beat the crap out of it and it was flushed at 175,000,I guarantee the retard I bought it from never changed the tranny fluid.:D

yes safn transission flushes can be dangerous for the trans it can go either way some will blow up others will feel like new

The tranny was rebuilt 60k ago. At 30k i did flush with no problem. Now the Aamco shop telling me i need to do flush and filter.

I do a flush and filter religiously at every 30,000 miles or sometime sooner if I begin to feel rough shifts.

It's a crap shoot- If you have a very high mileage vehicle, new fluid can remove old fluid with worn off band material floating in the fluid. That material could be what is allowing the bands to grip. New fluid without that material floating may then allow the bands to slip, which causes the trans to fail.

Changing all of your fluid with a new filter will not cause your transmission to explode from pressure. If that was the case, every new car on a lot would have exploded transmissions.

the policy at my shop is that if it was more the 100k and never been done to not touch it.if the tranny is serviced on time then everthing should be fine.

The tranny was rebuilt 60k ago. At 30k i did flush with no problem. Now the Aamco shop telling me i need to do flush and filter.
Do it... they are right.
Or don't and pray that will last more that 100k...

Back