Transmission - It's time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission - It's time

Taycel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I bought my '02 4X2 XLT new in March of the same year. After 322,000 miles, the transmission needs replacement. I decided to go with a reman Ford that comes with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. For what it's worth, the items that have been replaced in the 13+ years of ownership are all 4 wheel hubs, water pump, thermostat, alternator, 3 batteries, rear shocks, and sway bar links. Other than these repairs, the leather isn't cracked, the interior plastic is in great shape, the original clearcoat still shines like new, it runs great, rides and drives as good as the day I bought it. Merry Christmas !! :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I have 197k on my 2005 that I bought new. It's all original, although I will probably need a new transmission in the next year, as it's having some occasional shifting hesitation. Otherwise, it's been similar to what you have had done. I did replace the intake manifold about 2 years ago, but other than that, pretty standard stuff.

Good to hear about 322k, that's impressive......

How much was the transmission? Any idea how much more the 4x4 model is?

Are you running on original engine with original timing chains at 322K????

Amazing! My 2005 XLT 4.0 4x4 has about 186,000. I only have owned it for a little over a year, and put about 15,000 miles on it.

As far as I know, it has the original motor and transmission.

Do you have the 4.0 V6? Also, what oil do you use, and how often do you change it?

How much was the transmission? Any idea how much more the 4x4 model is?

Are you running on original engine with original timing chains at 322K????

I paid $2,216 + tax (+ 1,200 core) for the transmission, and $65 for 13 quarts of Mercon V. Also, until 12/31, there is a $150 rebate. A friend is installing it, in his mechanic shop, for $300. :usa:

Amazing! My 2005 XLT 4.0 4x4 has about 186,000. I only have owned it for a little over a year, and put about 15,000 miles on it.

As far as I know, it has the original motor and transmission.

Do you have the 4.0 V6? Also, what oil do you use, and how often do you change it?

I have the 4.0L (Made in Germany), I change it every 5,000 miles, and it has ONLY had Pennzoil or Motorcraft oil in it, and Motorcraft filters. :usa:

I have the 4.0L (Made in Germany), I change it every 5,000 miles, and it has ONLY had Pennzoil or Motorcraft oil in it, and Motorcraft filters. :usa:

Very nice! I have the 4.0 V6 Flex fuel, how can I tell if mine was made in Germany?

Since I have owned my Explorer, I use Motorcraft filters and Valvoline 5W30 conventional every 3,000-4,000 miles. Mine doesn't burn, or leak a drop. It has had a little rattle for most, if not all the time I have owned it, which I suspect is timing chain related, but never confirmed.

Very nice! I have the 4.0 V6 Flex fuel, how can I tell if mine was made in Germany?

Since I have owned my Explorer, I use Motorcraft filters and Valvoline 5W30 conventional every 3,000-4,000 miles. Mine doesn't burn, or leak a drop. It has had a little rattle for most, if not all the time I have owned it, which I suspect is timing chain related, but never confirmed.

Unsure how YOU can tell. On the left side of my engine block, it is stamped with "Made in Germany". :usa:

Unsure how YOU can tell. On the left side of my engine block, it is stamped with "Made in Germany". :usa:

Thanks, I'll take a look when I do my plugs.

I like German firearms. :)

I believe all the 4.0 SOHC's from this era are the Cologne engines made in Germany.

You forgot to mention is that Pennzoil Conventional or Synthetic? I believe the Motorcraft is Synthetic Blend...

You forgot to mention is that Pennzoil Conventional or Synthetic? I believe the Motorcraft is Synthetic Blend...

My apologies. Around 95% of all of the oil changes has been with Pennzoil conventional oil. The rest were done by a Ford dealer, here in Tennessee. :usa:

Back