Transmission jerking on 1st speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission jerking on 1st speed

Larkin_1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2007 v8
Hey everyone! First of all sorry for my English. I have a little problem with transmission jerking on first gear, for example in traffic jam. I wil try to describe it- when the car is moving at at minimal speed (5-10 km/h) on the first gear, when I add gas- the car jerks (twitches) and then the transmission shifts to the secon gear( the shift is smooth). In all other situations the transmission works great, for example on a high way. The scanner shows that I have a latest version of Tcm calibration. I have this problem for 2 years and cant solve it. What can it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2008 and currently own a 2010, both with V8's. They both did/do the same thing. I had the trans on the 2008 updated by the dealer, and it still did it. The 2010 is supposed to be "fixed" but still shifts like garbage. Don't know the answer but at least you're not alone!

Thank you for reply. I believe that the problem is in TCM calibration, because some have this problem, some-not. I know that there are different TCM calibrations for different model years, and while flashing it is easy to choose a wrong one.

Today i have connected the scanner and it showed me that i have the latest TCM Calibration 6U7A-12A650-KNC and doesnt update it. I thought that the latest was 8L2P-7J104-AC. Can somebody explain this?

Please, can anyone ask ford customer service in US concerning the TCM Calibration. Which one is the last one- 6U7A-12A650-KNC or 8L2P-7J104-AC? Unfortunately US customer service doesnt want to answer me, because i am from Europе:( Our local dealer is completely crap, they only have information about Mondeo and Focus.

Tried again to contact my local dealer- no answer...is it so complex question?

I've had this issue with mine ever since I got it. I've tried a few things - updated the TCM calibration, replaced the throttle sensor, and changed the trans fluid. None of those helped a bit. I did get it checked out at a dealer one time and they said it's probably the trans solenoid, but that would cost at least a $1000 to fix. So I've just given up on it.

I dont think that it is a mechanical problem. I will try to download 8L2P-7J104-AC calibration and see if the Ford IDS Scanner will update it.

Try resetting the PCM. Basically, Remove the Negative Battery lead and isolate it. Then connect a wire between the Positive battery cable and the Removed Negative Lead (Wire NOT the terminal). Leave it that way for about 15-30 minutes. Afterwards, remove the shorting wire and reconnect the battery. You will then have to re-train the system.
For the idle (let it idle for about 5 minutes), then turn on ALL accessories (Lights, radio AC's...) and let idle a few more minutes. Then set up your car for about a 15 minute drive. Start slow and let the computer relearn the shift points (try to make sure you run through all the shift points). Then take it out on the highway. This might need to be repeated a couple of times (relearn process).

Conected the scanner today. I have the latest calibration 8L2P-7J104-BC. So the problem is not electrical. But still- this trasmission is very very smoth, the only problem oсcurs on slow speeds. Well, will close my eyes on this, and continue enjoy driving explorer :)

Well, have have passed 150000 miles, still have this transmission jerking in the 1st gear, maybe there is a solution appeared during this past years?

It's probably contamination of the solenoids due to a poor design. I think I have the same issue, but I don't want to spend the money to fix it since the issue is pretty minor.

Over 200k miles and cannot solve this issue, it’s easier to sell a car rather than fix this

Over 200k miles and cannot solve this issue, it’s easier to sell a car rather than fix this

Hey everyone! First of all sorry for my English. I have a little problem with transmission jerking on first gear, for example in traffic jam. I wil try to describe it- when the car is moving at at minimal speed (5-10 km/h) on the first gear, when I add gas- the car jerks (twitches) and then the transmission shifts to the secon gear( the shift is smooth). In all other situations the transmission works great, for example on a high way. The scanner shows that I have a latest version of Tcm calibration. I have this problem for 2 years and cant solve it. What can it be?
Dear Larkin_1
This is a well know issue about explorer, hard downshifting from 2nd to 1st gears specially during deaccelaration on trafffic.
I suffered this issue more than 2 years, the only solution is to change the trans solenoid with new fluied and filter then reprogramming it, otherwise nothing will help you

Well, have have passed 150000 miles, still have this transmission jerking in the 1st gear, maybe there is a solution appeared during this past years?
Ok. Then 150000 mi, how often are you changing the trans fluied and filter, that is why some has this issue and some hasnt.. refering owner manual you should change them every 40000 km, in fact you need to change them earlier let say every 30000km to keep it from any metals. Otherwise trans will start making hard up or down shifting.

Hope that answer your confusion questions

Unfortunately the problem doesn’t deal with oil. Since I bought this car, I change transmission oil and filter every 35000 km...

That is.... if the trans is already intact changing the oil and filter will help... if the trans is infected then you need to change the solenoid...

Thanks for help! Is it possible to buy new solenoids separately?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back